Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with The Jazz Theory Book

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by paintballjunkie, Jan 18, 2006.

1. paintballjunkie

paintballjunkie

Jul 27, 2005
    Indiana
    I finally got around to getting this book, and...:eek: it's very thorough to say the least. I have no idea where to begin with this book. Those of you that read it, how did you work this book into your practice routines?

2. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    Montréal,Qc,Canada
    Are you talking about the Mark Levine's book?

SB

3. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    great book,i went through alot of it.

4. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    Montréal,Qc,Canada
    It is a book for general purpose on Jazz harmony not on bass playing.
    So,I suggest you to read one chapter at the time,practice the scales you learn in the cycle of descencing fifths(C,F,Bb,...) one octave and 2 octaves. Then use a fake book and apply the concepts and sounds you are learning.

SB

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well the best thing I found was to get to a keyboard and play the examples as Mark Levine has them in the book - starting with the easiest concepts to understand and work your way through - getting the sounds of the examples he cites, in your head. :)

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Mark Levine's jazz theory book is difficult, no two ways about it. I think it is pretty hard for someone who doesn't already have a pretty good grounding in theory. A simpler bass theory book written for bassists, even one without a jazz basis, might be a good start.

But you could tough it out. I recommend starting with the first chapter and going page-by-page slowly. Don't forge ahead until you feel you have grasped the concepts of the page or pages you are studying. YOu need to know how to APPLY what you are learning or you could just drown in all the information.

One good thing about the book is that many examples give the name of the jazz song and performer from which the sample was taken. If you could somehow manage to hear those smaples, you will learn very much about the history and various styles of great jazz performers. Also the back of the book has the names of some jazz greats and their most noted songs. It is an excelent listening guide and plan for starting your own library of jazz.

7. Zachass

Zachass Peavey Partizan

Any suggestions, I'm trying to learn some more advanced theory after going through BG for dummies and a little private study. Any books that will help me take the next step?

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It's certainly not a beginner's bass book!! :p

I think you have to be playing Jazz and really want to further your theoretical knowledge, to get the most out of it and as you say, prepared to listen to a lot of Jazz.

What always surprises me, is when I go along to Jazz jams or classes and get talking to people and find they don't listen to Jazz - and they say things like - well I just wanted to have a go at playing Jazz or I'm not really into Jazz but...:meh:

If you're going to play Jazz you do have to put a lot of effort in and totally immerse yourself in it... otherwise you're not going to get any of this stuff.