Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with the Stomp (Brothers Johnson) solo...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Sep 6, 2005.

1. please could someone post a tab or some hints or a recording of it slow. It's amazing, the one on all the tabs is wrong though.

2. Oh and I don't just need a tab, a Key or a chord progression or some hints/techniques Louis Johnson uses would be helpful. With some of the key I could do it by ear probably, it's just finding it. It's so percussive

3. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I've never heard the song, but a lot of his slap/funk stuff was in the key of E, so you might want to check that out.

4. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Its not in E, and most of it is ghost notes. The technique of hammering with your thumb on a muted string to get a drum effect. It's also doubled with the kick drum so if your not lerning it with a drummer you end up learning his parts too!!LOL I learned it through sheer arrogance, seeing so many cover band bassists play it nowhere NEAR correctly, I donned some headphones and woodshedded with my stingray until I got it right. Watching the Brothers Johnson DVD didnt hurt either ;) Because it shows you correct hand position

5. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    You know the rhythm, so bear with me. It's in G.

-----------3--------------------
    ---------------------------3-h-5
    -------x-x---x--3-h-5-x-x-------
    -3-x-3--------------------------

And variations on that. Maybe a different hammer here, slightly different mutes there.

Basically just keep the mutes going at the appropriate speed so that it's constantly moving.

-Eric.

6. pauljacksonfan

pauljacksonfan

Jun 14, 2005