Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with theory

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Yogi Bear, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    I've been playing bass for about 16 years now and have played with several different bands but it has always bothered me that my theory is a bit limited. I am looking for any book that is laid out to help someone teach themselves theory. My music reading skills are remedial at best and can play scales just fine but couldn't tell a dorian from an aolean without looking at a chart. I want to know what I am playing and what's behind it, if that makes sense. Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Farley,

Check out the Practice room at WWW.talkbass.com.
    I have not found a link yet from the forums to get to the home page of talkbass. Check out the Introduction to Scales and Chords by Adam. I can now do any scale without having to read music or memorize!

Linda

3. :D OHMYGOSH! I don't know where that link came from! It must be magic!

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
  5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Ed Friedlands Building Walking BassLines will better your knowlede of theory and John Liebmans Funk/Fusion will help you better your site reading a bit.