help with this 77 p-bass please!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rowan_Jazz_Head, Dec 16, 2003.

1. I am looking at this 77 p bass and i thinking about getting it but I am not sure if it is an actual 77 as the head stock decal is the one they used in the early 70's. I don't really know much about what years used which decals but has any one got an idea about if this bass isn't 77 what year it could be. cheers.
  2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    If the neck plate is original and the bass is, indeed, all original, it's probably a '76 made before they changed the serial number scheme. They went to the "S" prefix in '76 but the earlier ones that year had serial numbers in the range of this one.

In any case, somebody has played that bad boy...a lot! Kind of a cool old P bass, I'd say. Good luck.
  3. cheers, what i plan on doing is bidding, trying to win and then gonna take it for a real pro set up and give it a damn good clean. As far as finnish wear goes, you don't know how bad it is untill you get it...if it is beyond "looking cool" I might just strip down because those 70's bass always looked good natural.
  4. That looks sweet. I just got a MIJ P-Bass in that colour combo (black with black p/g) but mine has a rosewood fretboard. If you win it tho, I'd swap the p/g out for a tortoise shell one.

The serial # 615087.

F-Series (late 1965 to mid-1976) (big script "F" on neckplate below serial number):

6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    IMO swapping pickguards on a '77 is blasphemy unless needed. 1976-1980? Fender Basses are marked by their black pickguards and IMO are gorgeous this way.
  7. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    If that's really the original neckplate, the Mr. Gearhead site indicates '76 for that serial #. As far as stripping the finish, come on, man! People pay good money to have the Custom Shop make their basses look like that. I'd leave it. I have a black/black/rosewood '78 that I like a lot.

And good luck.
  8. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    same here, i got a '78 pbass same as that, black-black-maple. It sounds amazing! mine has more or less the same wear points of that one, only thing, mine is red under the black... prolly a factory repainting, due to all the sh*t happened in fender in the past. Actually my liuther said it was both original coats.
    About yours, you could ask the owner to take off the neck, and send you a picture of the matching number on the neck saddle.
    wish you the same luck i had (i paid mine 500 bucks and has the original case and pickup and bridge covers)