Help with this supposed fender bass "crafted in japan"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pedro Cofre, Sep 25, 2022.

1. Pedro Cofre

Pedro Cofre

Jun 22, 2018
    Chile
    Yesterday I took my fender P Bass reissue 70's crafted in japan to a luthier to adjust it. in this way we take advantage of the instance to verify its legitimacy. finally we were doubtful since there were things that coincided and others that did not. I will start with the one that seemed strangest to him. one of the jobs was to change the soul screw, since the current one was quite damaged, so the idea was to change it for an original fender screw that I bought on ebay. When testing the new screw, we realized that it was of a larger diameter and did not fit into the hole in the arm. the electronics looked fine, but the serial numbers looked weird where they were located, the number on the body was under the pickups. The previous owner told me that he changed the bridge and the capacitor of the electronics. guitar tech also told me that under the tuner machines it should say japan 1, 2, 3 or 4 depending on the tuner, which it didn't have either. I told him that the bass was crafted in japan and not made in japan, so there is a possibility that he was not correct since he had only reviewed Made in japan basses. according to the serial number my bass must have been made between 1997-2000. I ask the most knowledgeable for help. I leave you some photos.
    pbass4.jpeg pbass3.jpeg pbass2.jpeg PXL_20220924_112712849.jpg PXL_20220611_105057517.jpg PXL_20220924_113719313.jpg PXL_20220612_115901367.jpg
    IMG-20220914-WA0044.jpg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
  2. SAE/Imperial nut to a metric TR ?

I would ask why this 'luthier' was unaware this would not work and have my doubts regarding the truth of his other statements.

3. Pedro Cofre

Pedro Cofre

Jun 22, 2018
    Chile
    explain yourself pls

4. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Love My Dogs
    whats a soul screw? good band name though

5. Japan , like everywhere else in the world, use the metric system for screws/nuts etc. The USA is the only country that uses SAE/Imperial sizes. While the two systems are similar they do not match and will not fit.

This is very basic stuff you would expect any 'luthier' to know.

6. Pedro Cofre

Pedro Cofre

Jun 22, 2018
    Chile
    Screw of trust Road. Google transls
    Screw of trust Road. Google translate jeje.
    Greetings from Chile

7. Pedro Cofre

Pedro Cofre

Jun 22, 2018
    Chile
    Ok thanks ☺️

yodedude2 likes this.
  8. You're welcome.

You're 'luthier' should also know the numbers stamped on the neck and in the pickup cavity are assembly dates not serial numbers. It appears he knows far less about Fenders than he claims.

I would find another luthier.

9. stefanb

stefanb

Sep 14, 2017
    Toronto
    As a previous owner of multiple PB70 models, that is one of them. No reason to believe its not genuine.

10. Paco Leon

Paco Leon Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Hollywood, Florida
    Kenny235, KaraQ and design like this.
  11. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    I am Endorsed by BrownAmps.com
    Nice looking bass. I hope you get it squared away!!

Jinobass1, Kenny235 and DJ Bebop like this.
  12. kmon

kmon Supporting Member

May 11, 2009
    Chocolate Disneyland
    No disrespect to the non-english-speaking OP, I've had my own struggles with learning languages and applaud anyone who ventures out in a language that is not their native one...

That said, can we PLEASE agree as a community to call truss rod nuts "soul screws" from here on out?

13. Pedro Cofre

Pedro Cofre

Jun 22, 2018
    Chile
    Jajajajaja

14. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    I thought the same thing, great band name.

Kenny235 likes this.
  15. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Commercial User

Sep 16, 2013
    Ontario Canada
    Retail store manager
    The switch to crafted in Japan from made in Japan happened when Fender chose a new manufacturer for its Japanese models. The quality didn’t change and the earliest models from each company are considered some of their best.

B-Mac, trseal, Sorado71 and 5 others like this.
  16. Agreed. I laughed, but figured out what he meant pretty quickly :D

bobyoung53 and DJ Bebop like this.
  17. Bassinthemudd

Bassinthemudd It's all patterns Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2020
    Minnesota
    I second that, and call "dibs" on it as a band name.:bassist:

18. B-Mac

B-Mac Happiness is a warm puppy and a great bass Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

^
    ^
    ^

This.

@Pedro Cofre

It appears your 'Luthier' is just a novice hack. Find a real Luthier with real experience and a knowledge of Fender basses.

19. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    But the good news is that it appears that your bass is authentic, and is a very nice bass!

20. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    We've all probably been in a band like that.