1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help with thumping all on the same string

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by A Minor, Jun 4, 2007.

1. ok i can open hammer pluck/double thump with relative ease, now i'm trying to work on being able to do it all on the same string, I have a marcus miller jazz and the pickup cover sort of gets in the way but i was wondering for those that know how to do it, is this just a lack of skill on my part and will practice make perfect, or do i need the extra room that the pickup cover takes away?

any hints and/or tips would be greatly appreciated:hyper: :bassist:

2. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Delaware, USA
    You may want to take the pickup plate off to experiment with finding the right hand angle in that area. I played a Marcus jazz the other day and IMO the plate gets in the way.

3. alright thanks man, can you give me any pointers or maybe go into a little detail as to how you progressed with the technique

4. Ok, take your fingering hand and make sure the palm is parrallel to the bass body. Now, curl up that hand, so it's forming a fist, and then put out that thumb. At this point, take that thumb, and drop it 45 degrees. So your palm is pointing directly at the bass body, and the thumb is pointing at the bass body at an angle. Now double thump with the top left corner of the nail (as opposed to the thumb joint, which is impossible to do).

5. i can double thump in my sleep that isn't the problem, i just can't seem to find a way to double thump and pop all on the same string without my index finger feeling cramped, but bravo on the description man, wish somebody would've explained it to me that way when i first tried to figure it out

6. And for double plucking, don't pluck with your fingers perpendicular to the string, instead, slightly angle the fingers.

7. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Delaware, USA
    Similar to what AGP said before, when plucking everything on the same string, the hand stays mostly curled up in a fist. It's all about economy of motion with this technique.

8. i took the pickup cover off and it was loads easier but i'm still have trouble with it, guess i'll just have to keep working at it. Thanks for all the help everybody!

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021