Help with tone pots

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Saliola Luca, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Saliola Luca

Saliola Luca

Dec 12, 2017
    Belgium
    Hi, here's my problem. I have a Cort GB74 bass, it originally had an active circuit, which unfortunately burned out. I'm now left with some spare potentiometers and a switch on the bass. I would really like to make use of them but I'm a newbie in these things (I have decent soldering skills but I lack knowledge).

The bass is composed of a Single coil in the neck and a humbucker in the bridge. A master volume control, a J/H blend control, and a SPDT switch which changes between the north/south/both coils on the humbucker. A stacked potentiometer (doesn't work, i guess its a bass/treble cut) and a SPST switch (doesn't work either, I can't find any model with this switch).

Do you have any ideas, resources I can use ? Here are the schematics but bear in mind that they do not reaaly match my bass (I can't find the appropriate ones on the Cort website and the support doesn't answer to my kind emails)

Let me know ! Any help is appreciated.

2. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Saliola Luca likes this.
  3. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Yep, I would just gut all the pots and switches, then replace with an adequate preamp.

Saliola Luca likes this.
  4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Did you buy it used?
    That might explain the switch vs. a mids knob.

I'd keep it passive & install:
    two 500K Ohm linear taper volume pots
    500K Ohm audio taper treble cut
    1 MegOhm C taper bass cut

Difficult to know what the SPST switch is for.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Saliola Luca likes this.
  5. Saliola Luca

Saliola Luca

Dec 12, 2017
    Belgium
    Yep, I bought it used !
    Also, the volume pot can be pulled up, or pushed down, I think it was the passive/active switch as it doesn't work in the down position...

So the two linear taper volume should act as individual volumes for each pickups I guess ?
    Thank you for your reply !

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  6. Killed_by_Death

Yes, 1 volume knob for each pickup.

Does yours look like this?

upload_2018-9-14_9-42-15.png

If you went passive only, not sure what to do with those switches.
    1 could be a series/parallel switch.

7. Killed_by_Death

8. Saliola Luca

Saliola Luca

Dec 12, 2017
    Belgium
    Exactly ! I've been looking for a bass like mine for so long, I assumed mine was modified !
    Could you tell me where you found it ?

I'm going to try theses modifications carefully.. Thank you so much !

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021