Help with trade-in - Anyone got the Bluebook?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shooter McGavin, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Shooter McGavin

Shooter McGavin Dam you people. This is golf. Not a rock concert.. Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    Hello all:

I have set my eyeballs on the latest "got to have it" bass at a local shop in my neighborhood. It's going to cost me a trade-in in order to grab it.

I have this Warwick Corvette 5-string fretless that I am willing to part with. I asked the shop over the phone how they make their assessments for trade in value. They mentioned using the Orion Blue Book value. When I asked them how much that was, they said "you'll have to come in."

OK, that's fair. But I would like to have an idea about my approximate trade-in value before I go, just in case they try to lowball me.

Anyone care to comment on what they might feel is a fair trade-in value for my bass? It is in perfect condition, given its, somewhat limited usage. Anyone have an Orion BB that they could give me a price out of? I'm thinking about $650-$750 in trade. I paid $1250 for it.

2. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Check this out man. Books like the orion are opinion's that store's go off of right? That doesn't mean that they'll give you that. You have to know the buying market. The easiest place to find that is Ebay. Look at all of the current and past sales of your bass. From this you can judge what your bass will retail for used in a store, maybe a little bit higher. Then figure the store is doing business and does need to make money so expect to get anywhere from 30-50% less than what the market retail is. It varies from store to store depending on a lot of things. My advice to you would be to put a deposit on the bass at the store so that it doesn't sell out from underneath you. Then, put your bass on Ebay with pictures and a very thorough discription. Start off with a low entry price to draw bids and let it go. There is a decent market on Ebay for the Corvette. That way you maximize what you can get for yours used and the store still get the sale. Everyone is happy :bassist:
  3. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I agree with what Danshee says. I doubt that you'll get $650 for the bass in trade unless they jack up the price of the bass you are buying. Some places apply the trade in towards the list price, not the retail price. Plus the Blue Book will give a range of values based on condition. The store determines condition.

I think that they'll probably give you around $400-500 for the bass. I basically gave up on trade ins since E-Bay. When I did trade in, it seemed like they always offered around $100 less than expected, even when my expectations were quite low.
  4. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I agree with Jive1 agreeing with me. jk. But seriously folks, Jive1 is right. Since Ebay, trade-ins are almost stupid, seriously. On Ebay, people get all caught up in the auction trying to win etc. and end up giving you usually the used market max. :hyper: