Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with troubleshooting...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sundogue, Jun 5, 2001.

1. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Here's the situation...

Peavey Cirrus bass
    Carvin R600 head.
    2 new (different) instrument cables

Occasionally I will lose the signal and it sounds just like I got a bad connection of some kind.

I replaced my cord...it was fine for awhile, then it crapped out again (it is always intermittent...only cuts out for like a measure or a couple of notes).

I had the jack on the Cirrus replaced. Again it was fine for a long time and then it cut out again (intermittent).

I don't think it is the head. The other night, I was playing an outdoor gig and it was very humid (raining) and though we were sheltered everything was damp. I was playing along and it cut out...I wiggled the cord, nothing happened. I pulled out the plug from the bass and re-inserted it...and then it worked...though I had to do this many times for the last set.

I think that the plug on a Cirrus is very sensitive as it is not a standard jack. It only has two small contact points inside it. I've played with this bass setup for a long time and it has only started giving me grief over the last couple of months (I had the Cirrus jack replaced about a month ago and this is the first time it has happened since).

Anybody have a similar experience and if so, what did you do? What was the actual problem? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm putting this in different forums as I'm not sure as to actual source of the problem (could be the Cirrus, so anyone with a Cirrus having this problem let me know).

2. I have this same prob now and then with my Warwick.. I haven't really done anything about it though. Doesn't happen much. I think it's just my old cables.

3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Once is too much for me on a gig. I'm really intolerant of preventable problems and having the bottom drop out in the middle of a song is something I do need to prevent.

Any ideas?

4. Hmm, i put in a different cable.. a cheap cable.. and I didn't get the problem once. I guess I know what cable I'm using nowadays. hehe.

5. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Can you bend the contacts in the socket so that they make a better connection with the plug ? It shouldn't take much only a couple of mm.

Prevention is better than a cure - once you've got it working try different plugs out to see if they make it better or worse - see if you can get a good 90 degree jack (such as a Switchcraft) soldered on the end of a good lead - and always remember to loop your lead through your strap.

I had an intermittent problem with a Warwick jack socket which I cured by getting a radio lead - the jack never comes under any pressure so it never cuts out (and of course I can run round like a loony again) Maybe a litle expensive though :)

6. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Wild thought -- could be dirt in the pots, especially if they're not sealed pots.

You might get that checked.

7. This really is the bassist's nightmare. And, the Tech's nightmare, too if you have to take it to one.

I've spent nearly 30 years in electronics and intermittent faults are evil.

You can only carry on changing stuff until the fault goes or unless you get an inkling of what's going on over time, with experience , then nail it.

For certain, some jack sockets used on basses really are poor quality stuff. Bending the contacts might work...for a while. Try some sort of spray cleaning fluid on the socket. There'll be plenty on the market in your area I'm sure.

John

8. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    This reminded me of something to talk about. Does anyone use a coiled cord anymore? I do! It has a 90-degree plug at the bass, and the other end goes into a female-to-female adapter. The adapter sits on the floor and connects, via a "normal" (uncoiled) instrument cable, to my multieffects pedal. I'm "old school" perhaps regarding the coiled cord, but the reason why I use it is that I found I was ALWAYS stepping on (and/or tripping over) my cord, and if it was a straight one, the tension would damage the plug and jack. Drove me crazy! This does not happen at all with my coiled cord, which means that the plug and jack do not ever see severe stress. It works quite well.
    - Mike

9. b0nes83

b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    on my cirrus it just feels that that the cable is loose inside...ive tried many of the cables and it still happens. I have had the bass for 5 years and that part has been looked at three times. I took it apart lastnight just before rehersal because its been making really bad noises on stage. i will try the q-tip later today, peace
    Chad

10. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

From a troubleshooting P.O.V. you need to proceed logically in any electical system to isolate the offending component(s).

You seem to have eliminated the cords by using 2 different ones. You can always buy a third and be sure. That leaves the bass and the head.

You will need to bite the bullet and try another bass for a while. That will define whether it is the bass or the head. Or you could rent a head for a gig for one night. If you still have the problem, it's the bass. Right?

At which point, assuming you have isolated the issue to the bass, you can work your way up the signal chain. Intermittent problems are the most annoying, as you can't measure them, as they usually aren't doing it when you want to fix it.
    I would typically start the by replacing the jack, and if it continues, start looking at the pots.Lastly, pups, though I wouldn't expect to see the problem there.

But the key is ISOLATING which part of the rig is giving you the trouble.

Thor

11. b0nes83

b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    it is the bass input itself...nothing else at this point. ihave hooked up to many of rigs and still the same noise...big crackle like pulling it out and putting it back in with the amp up laud. i hate to bring it to stors because they say its fixed and they do nothing but tighten some little screw. peace
    Chad