Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with truss rod

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dodongo, Dec 16, 2001.

1. Dodongo

Dodongo

Dec 16, 2001
    California
    hey guys, im new to the forum.

I have a modded 89 charvel neck-thru p and j bass that's been giving me some trouble lately. when i play on the 1-3 frets, i get some annoying fret buzz. it does it on the open A D and G too. compared to my DeArmond pilot plus, which doesnt buzz at all, and my charvel seems to be more tilted back. u know what i mean?? so does this mean i have too much relief on the neck?? which way do i need to turn the rod in order to fix this? and i know im supposed to turn it slowly about 1/8 inch and re-string it and let it sit for about a day, right?? please, tell me what i need to do to fix this problem! this bass is really a decent piece of gear, but im getting sick of the buzz im getting when im playing lower notes.
    thanks a lot.

2. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    i suggest you take it to someone at a guitar store who knows what they are doing. they can show you so you can do it yourself the next time.

3. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    oh yeah...

welcome to the forum. hope you have fun ;)

4. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    From your description you don't have enough relief. Loosen the trussrod, counterclockwise.

Welcome to TalkBass, but you should have put this in Setup and it will probably get moved there.

5. Dodongo

Dodongo

Dec 16, 2001
    California
    aww crap i didnt even see that there was a set up forum. sorry about that, mr moderator people.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I say that you better watch out for Link, because he has figured out your weakness, Dodongo.:p

Welcome to Talkbass.:)