1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with tuning

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Cypherus, May 1, 2010.

1. Cypherus

Cypherus

May 1, 2010
    Hello everyone, I'm fairly new at bass and just only got my bass recently.Its a Corts starter pack but I'm sure most of you have ever heard of it xD

It came with a free tuner but the tuner can only tune to standard. Could anyone help me by posting instructions to tune my bass to Half step down?

Gb Db Ab Eb

Please and thank you

2. Chris K

Chris K

May 3, 2009
    Gorinchem,The Netherlands
    Partner: Otentic Guitars
    Yes.
    Play D - string, 6th fret. Tune that note to G.
    Play A - string, 6th fret. Tune that note to D.
    Play E - string, 6th fret. Tune that note to A.

Finally, play D-string 5th fret and tune your G-string to that note by ear. A good hearing exercise.

BTW: Why the half step down?
    If you start, you'd better not do that. Your inner ear should get accustomed to normal tuning.

3. Cypherus

Cypherus

May 1, 2010
    thx for the help dude ^^

Half step down cause I'm trying to learn some Rise Against songs.I've played guitar for about a year before and decided to switch to bass cause it looked fun and its different XD plus my friends trying to make a band and they need a bassist

once again thanks man :)

4. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    In that case, there's really no reason to tune the whole bass down half a step. Some RATM (if that's what you're referring to) songs go to D, so you'd be better off just detuning the E string down a whole step, that way it won't be so awkward for a beginner when playing other songs. Plenty of bass players do this and there are actually detuners made for that. It's basically a new tuner that has a small lever that changes the tune between E and D.

5. Cypherus

Cypherus

May 1, 2010
    nonono I aint refering to Rage Against the Machine
    I'm referring to Rise Against its a totaly different band
    << this one

6. Chris K

Chris K

May 3, 2009
    I'm too old to really like that stuff, but I hear the qualities. Hope you'll do all of those surprising little rhythmic stops and effects as well. They do help to get attention.

I suppose they tuned down to get to a comfortable key for their singer and still be able to use many open strings.

So t depends on the singer of YOUR band if you need to copy that.

7. wade_b

wade_b

Jul 8, 2008
    I'm guessing he wants to "play along" with the original to learn it.

If that's the case, what I like to do is use Audacity to alter the pitch of the song up to standard tuning (in this case, raise it a half step)

8. Chris K

Chris K

May 3, 2009
    :oops: But of course.....

Nice tip.

9. Cypherus

Cypherus

May 1, 2010
    well actually i wanted to learn it cause it sounded nice and i liked the meanings behind their songs :D.My band plays rock depending on what we all like :S so far we only know 3 songs together as a band xD.

Really glad to see such a helpfull community ^^ thanks again for all the help