1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with unruley boss

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by RiseAgainst, Sep 11, 2008.

1. RiseAgainst

RiseAgainst

Jun 4, 2008
    I quit my job 2 months ago.

I asked for a reference 3 months ago.

I still dont have it!

I call my boss on a daily basis at the edge of yelling at him but i restrain myself, I just calmly demand my reference and every time he says yeah Im really busy this week I'll get on it next soon. I say soon isnt good enough and it just leads no where.

I live out of state now so I cant face to face confront him on this...what should I do in this position? Any help would be fantastic. :help:

2. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Two tips:

- If it is a big company, complain about it to his boss, the personnel manager or someone else in a strong position in the company. That should get the ball rolling.

- Tell him you're going to add his phone number and e-mail address to your CV until you get the reference.

3. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Your former boss has no obligation go give you a reference. It's a courtesy, at best.

Maybe you were a crappy employee?

4. RiseAgainst

RiseAgainst

Jun 4, 2008
    probably.

nah he promised to give me one hes just being lazy. Hes the kind of guy 'once you quit your not worth the effort'.

5. I say give it up. Now you are calling and demanding things. Even if you got one at this point, I doubt it would be glowing. As someone who hires people in professional positions, it is always easy to tell an insincere letter of reference, no matter how many frilly words are there.

He doesn't owe it to you, leave it at that.

6. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I'd move on. I'm an HR guy, and although your old boss has no obligation to provide one (we have a company policy that prohibits it), the letter won't mean much anyway...trust me. If I'm hiring someone, and they hand me a letter of reference, I'm probably going to call the person who wrote the letter to personally check the reference. My questions are going to be more specific about work performance, which generally isn't included in a letter of reference. From what you have described, I'm not sure I'd want this person contacted by a prospective employer....you have no idea what he might say. Just my two cents.....

7. IAmTheDood

IAmTheDood Shake and Bake

Dec 15, 2006
    Waterford, MI
    most places just ask for a phone number and a name for a reference when applying .. give them your old bosses name / phone number and the new employer will contact them.

8. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    References are a courtesy. You are in no place to demand it. If he hasn't given you one at this point, move on.

9. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    References are optional, and your boss doesn't owe you one.

In most of the US, if they contact an employer all they will do is confirm the dates you worked there and whether or not you are eligible for rehire.

Next time, write a letter of recommendation for yourself using your company letterhead and then ask your supervisor to sign it. Just make it realistic. It also saves him/her the hassle of doing it.

10. Finsterino

Finsterino

Mar 8, 2007
    Florida
    write a letter of recommendation for yourself using your company letterhead and then ask your supervisor to sign it.

11. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Hey did anyone say that references are a courtesy and that you should use your company letterhead to write your own letter of recommendation yet? Then you can get him to sign it. Also did anyone say forget it and move on yet? :D

12. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Word.

If you don't get along with the guy, why put him down as a reference?

13. Croox

Croox

Sep 16, 2007
    South Side Chicago
    when hes not there poop in his desk, granted it may not get your letter any faster, BUT it will make you feel better.