Help With Upgrading My Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist 4 life, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Ok heres a pic of my bass:

now here is what I have in mind

- Getting glow in the dark skull knobs[​IMG]

- Getting Dimarzio "Will Power Middle" pickups and painting them with glow in the dark paint.

- Getting a BadassII bridge in black

- Getting hipshot ultralight tuners inm black

Do you think my bass will look pretty good after these changes? And any ideas for upgrades?

Thank You
  2. Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    Ummm, sounds cool, I guess. Not my thing though. It's like taking a Honda Accord and putting spinners on.

But, FWIW, I'd forget the glow-in-the-dark stuff, you will pr'y outgrow it. But if you like it, buy it. Also, has some pretty cool inlays and lighting you could use. Search a little, there is some cool stuff you can do if you wanna invest in your bass like that.
  3. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    IMO not worth putting all that money into that bass.
  4. it'll be nice for glow in the dark and what not, but that doesn't always mean it will play "better". if by some chance you end up spending 2-300 dollars on it, you might just be better off buying a new bass. of course, if it has sentimental value, thats a whole different story.

Perfect Ex: Me dropping in +200 to bring a rusted over bass back from the grave.
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It'd look good, maybe to you, but I'm personally appalled by most glow in the dark things on basses. Too cheesy for me, but if you like it, take the idea and run with it. Why would you change the tuners? Neck dive? Or you just want something else? What's wrong with the bridge as is?

If I had that bass, just about the only thing I would do to it is drop in a Dimarzio Model P and a series/parallel switch.
  6. I just would like to know if it would look good and your opinions on it, plus if you have any cool ideas. Oh btw, second hand loser, thanks for the site =D

P.S. Do you think a black bridge and black tuners are necessary for it, will it look dull with a silver bridge and silver tuners?

Thank you for your comments.
  7. silver/chrome would definetly stand out more.
  8. I have the same (or at least very similar) bass - a black Yamaha RBX 264. I changed the pickups to Seymour Duncan quarter pounders, changed the bridge to a black Gotoh one, added lots of shielding, added straplocks, and changed the control knobs.

Of those changes I think the only really useful ones were adding the shielding, and perhaps the straplocks. Although I don't think the other changes really added anything, it was fairly interesting/educational to do them. The thing I don't like about this bass is that the fret edges are rather rough. Getting the frets smoothed down or changing the neck completely would make it nicer to play.

To me, adding glow-in-the-dark stuff seems like fun, and more appropriate to do on a cheap bass like this rather than something more expensive!

Anyway, I bought a SUB Sterling and I don't think I'm going to play the Yamaha anymore. I just have to decide whether to sell it or not and, if so, whether to replace the bridge and pickups with the originals.
  9. Cool, thanks for the replies, the "GlowdotZ" from fretlord look awesome, are they stickers? Anyone have experience with these??
  10. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    I don't know if I would drop that kinda money into that bass. But if I were indeed upgrading the bass. Some things I'd take into consideration. Does it slip out of tune alot? If it does, then you may want to replace the tuners. If it stays in tune nicely, then the tuners are fine. Are you able to shape the tone you want on the bass? If you can't I'd look into the Nordstrand P pups (i think they make them, not sure), and an aguilar pre-amp. Or i would look at a EMG P pup set, in my expirence EMG's seem to sound good on just about anything. As for knobs, I would think a black pearloid center would look really great on that bass. It's just me, but i really don't like silver hardware, so I would probably end making it black, just because i really hate silver hardware. Straplocks are also allways a good investment.
    But no offence, my friend has that exact bass, it's really not worth putting all that money into, imo. I would just buy another bass instead. Or sell that one and take the 200-300 and spend it else where. You could definatly pick up a MM sub (used) for around 350-400.

EDIT: Don't forget, the best upgrade sometimes is simply a new set of strings. I've been digg'n the DR sunbeams on my modj, and the Bootzillas on my Jazz, but sometimes a new set of good strings, can make your bass sound phenomial.
  11. If you decide you want to put all of the glowy stuff in like you had planned I would also paint the head stock black or something, it will clash pretty badly if it is still the natrural wood finish...
    Just my opinion, but if you decide to do all of that painting the headstock would help

I have the EMG P/J p'ups in my bass and I love it, so if you go with the EMG P like somebody else said you won't go wrong. :)
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I wouldn't do any expensive upgrades to it. I might change the pickup if it were noisy, but other than that, I'd leave it stock. Except for the knobs. Those look cool if you're into that metal stuff.
  13. Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005

Didn't even notice that.

You know, as I re-read this thread, I realized the joys of tricking out your first bass. If you guys are like me, you never sold it, even as you got newer and better basses, 'cuz there's something special about that bass.
    Mine is an Ibanez GSR 200, yes- Agathis, and yet, I find it gets equal time amongst my other basses at shows (almost) and gets a lot of love at home too.
    I think I'm gonna buy gold hardware for it tomorrow :bassist:
  14. Im planning on upgrading this bass because I know it will be with me for a while, and I know that it sounds like crap :p, so thats why I wanna upgrade it. I dont want to change the bridge and tuners anymore, maybe il paint the headstock instead. This whole process might take me 100$.