Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with Warwick model names

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flexo, Aug 2, 2005.

1. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Hey,

I'm looking at the warwick corvettes and i'm getting a little confused about the model names. As far as i know the cheapest warwick available (other than the rockbasses) is the passive ash-bodied corvette, right? What is that model called? There's a model that looks like that on ebay at the moment, but they call it a proline on the auction, is that the right name?

If anyone could maybe give me a basic rundown of the warwick corvettes, that'd be great!

Also, the auction i'm talking about is this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WARWICK-CORVETT...340134952QQcategoryZ16222QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What would be a reasonable price for that?

2. Hope this helps

Corvette Standard is the first model. It is available in both active and passive varieties, and also in swamp ash and bubinga, with swamp ash being cheaper.

The Corvette Double Buck is new, and has two large MM style pickups.

The Corvette Proline is similar to the Standard, but with a Maple cap on top of the swamp ash body. The version pictured on ebay appears to be an older version with a wenge, rather than ovangkol neck, very nice i believe!!

Corvette FNA Jazzmans are top of line and have a J and MM style pickup.

3. ok, that is the OLD proline series - note the older style brass nut. Just like mine, ash body, wenge finger board, ovangkol neck, passive MECs, volume, blend and tone controls... bit of a shame about the colour though!

the proline is a different beast these days to what it used to be. I would say that's a very reasonable price, but it's bound to go up a ways before the auction is done!

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    It looks like just a coloured-oil painted Corvette Standard Ash with a trussrod cover that says "ProLine"... these tricks are getting old. :rollno: Prolines are maple and have gold hardware. But who knows, before they moved to Markneukirchen (1996), they did a lot of variations and customizations. If you want to buy it, ask the seller whether it's really a Proline or he just got this and doesn't know anything about it.

Corvette models:
    • Standard: passive (just 4-string) or active, ash (again just 4) or bubinga-bodied
    • ProLine: maple, active electronics
    • new one - Double Buck: ash, two MM-style humbuckers
    • FNA (discontinued): maple top, ash back, one MM
    • FNA Jazzman: like FNA, just J+MM and still in production
    • Limited editions: FNA Jazzman LEs (figured bubinga in 2001 or 2002 and koa with J+twinJ in 2004), HotRod, etc
    • Custom-made

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Before 1998, all non-maple-necked Warwick basses had wenge necks with wenge fingerboards, and the brass J-A-N I. Since then, ovangkol necks with the graphite J-A-N II.
    I don't know what variations there were with the production before 2001, when I first stumbled upon Warwick, but when they were introduced in the USA, they already had maple bodies as standard.
    http://www.warwickbass.com/basssurvival101/prod_corvpl.htm

6. cool, so it IS a wenge neck... I'd always thought that but the literature I'd seen says otherwise. It does look very similar to the fingerboard, come to think of it. Der...

The serial number places it in the same year as mine - if reading the year is a simple as it seems! 1995? any experts confirm this?

7. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Hmmm, clearly the value of this particular bass on ebay would depend largely on whether it is a proline or an ash standard. That bass actually caused the confusion for me, since the wood grain looked like ash to me but it said proline. If it is an ash model, what would be a decent price?

8. http://www.warwickbass.com/basses/

the link above will likely answer a lot more of your questions. it even has the out of production models listed.

as with all basses, you really need to try them before buying one. i started with a corvette and found it quite uncomfortable to play. i then tried the streamers and bought a streamer pro m and a streamer stage ii, that i still have and think it is one of the finest basses i have played. the streamer series basses (i don't think the streamer standard is, but could be wrong) are concave on the back and very comfortable.

gotta love those warwicks ;)

9. Don't forget Dee Dee Warwick

[​IMG]

10. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    I believe you're mistaken, std. corvettes come in 5 and 6 string versions as well.

I do think that bass is a little suspicious. I don't know how the old ones differed, but it definately doesn't fit the specs of the current proline. And face it, it just doesn't look right. Regardless, I think it's still a good price at this point. I'd confront the seller about it's authenticity, if I were you.