Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with Watts of amps for band

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by backtoschool, Aug 26, 2002.

1. backtoschool

backtoschool

Oct 24, 2000
    I woulld appreciate any advice I could get on my amp situation. Myself and a guitarist are planning on upgrading our amps to be able to support live shows such as bars and some outdoor gigs, eventually the gigs will get larger, hopefully. I do understand that I need at least 3x the watts that my guitarist has but what is the amount of watts recommended for him to play these shows. I doubt he is getting a tube amp so if that narrows it down a little. If you need any more information than please ask and I will be more than happy to supply it. Suggestions for brands of guitar and bass amps would be helpful too. Thanks

2. how much power for a bass rig????

figure out how much you can afford and pack around. then buy a little more than that.

i know this sounds vague, but i promise you....

once you play for awhile, you discover that power is a bassist's best friend (well, next to practice...)

same for the PA..... it's not, i repeat not, a volume thing. it's about headroom and moving air with authority. our guitarist runs a 50 watt marshall halfstack (4 x 12), i run a 600 watt eden (with a 410 goliath). nice balance.

the best advice is let experience guide you, no one has it all figured out right away.

3. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
  4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    IMHO those numbers are not near enough to be able to support live/outdoor gigs.
    100-200W for the guitar amps and at least 400W for the bass is my recommendation.

5. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Depends on wether there is PA support or not.
    If not, you are right. 400W minimum.
    I supposed there is PA support hence the lower numbers.
    Also I want to add that I played indoor as well as outdoor gigs with 100-150W amps and it worked.
    Depends on what you expect - for someone just startin out this might very well be enough - just IMHO of cause...
    Of cause I feel better with my 400W rig, but I did not have this from the first day.

Matthias