Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with what rack case to buy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Feb 1, 2005.

1. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    Hey, i have a QSC PLX1202 and my pre is in the mail, a RBI. I need to get a rack case to put it all in, im looking at 4 spaces because my power is 2 pre is 1 and then i can get a power conditioner. But i dont know what kind i need. My biggest thing is the power amp at under 16" if i remember right.

I dont tour or use roadies. I load my own gear and even drive it there. Im 17 and play a gig maybe once a month and practice every week. So i dont need a huge flight case, and dont need anything with wheels.

Im looking at the SKB's, i would like to have rear rails so my front rails wont bend from the weight. Ive seen the SKB with the little trap door thing on the back and i really dont like that because it looks like the little red plastic screws will break off soon.

Any help would be most awesome.

2. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    maybe Anvil?

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The standard SKB rack case (SKB19-4U for the 4-space version) should work well.

You can use the 7" rear rack ears to secure the back of the amp to the rear rack rails.

4. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    SKB US series are really great. If you request a catalog and leave them a question they will answer it before sending the catalog. Really good people. Now only if they made non-rack amp cases...

5. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    So would any SKB do it?

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
  7. tommytoughnuts

tommytoughnuts

Jan 26, 2005
    skb is good and will last forever, but carvin road warriors are prettier :D

8. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    should i look on the used market? I mean it should be pretty obvious if something is wrong with a rack case right?

9. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    If you want but if used road cases look like mine then I would look for new, mine has been through hell and back...

10. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    i dont really want a flight case either, the wood kind, because i dont need anything that strong. A rack bag might work too.

11. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I was looking around at rack bags too. It was only for a Ampeg SVT-3 though. It weighs 26 lbs. Thats a ton of weight to trust nylon and plastic straps with. If you get a rack bag, you might want to look at the warwick rockbags. They have heavy materials and metal hardware/rings for straps. If anything would hold the weight, it would be those. I wish the front covers came off completey though like the gator cases do. They would still be in the way sitting on top of the speaker cab.
    Good luck!
    Wes

12. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Except for their latches.

13. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I've had mine for 2 years and I haven't had a single problem with my latches with heavy road wear.

14. A couple of suggestions:
    - like you have a power qsc and other stuff. As you mentioned you carry you rig so do I.
    I decided to go SKB 2U for the power amp only and a 4U for preamp, furman and compressor. I found that the QSC was too bulky in front to correctly access my pre (Ampeg SVP-CL).
    So by splitting the rig in two, I am ending up with 2 racks of the same weight ~20lb each instead of one rack of 40lb!
    Just my opinion

- if you want to go SKB, get the SKB19-xU series, they fit well.
    http://www.skbcases.com/product/pro_audio/rack_mount/skb19-4u.html
    Don't get the shallow ones.
    You could also get Gator cases.

15. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    On the SKB rack case that I keep my bass pre and power amp in, I have to use a hammer every year or two to straighten out the latches so they'll keep tight. That's not a difficult or time-consuming deal, though.

16. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    My SKB rules the world. Not that molded junk though. Mine has a rubber seal around the edge of the covers to make them semi-water proof. SKB Cases

17. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I like Grundorf cases.

You don't really need a power conditioner. Unless you get a really expensive one, they don't really do more than a good power strip. You could even go 3 space and use a power strip. The QSC fan goes out the front so you don't need top or bottom space. The RBI is light, as is the QSC, so you might even think rack bag, maybe a ProTec or Warwick.

I don't think I'd worry about using a separate rack for your amp and one for the RBI. Unless you do a lot of PA only gigs where you want to leave your amp and cab at home and just bring your RBI preamp. Then get 2, 2 space racks.

18. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    This is only mostly true. Most of the little better quality power "conditioners" have EMI/RFI filters in the to help with Neon Lighting noise and most have 15 amp circut breakers in them to protect against spikes. But, you are correct, they are glorified power strips. Furman has a SS-6B that is a power strip with EMI/RFI filters, 15 amp breaker and is only $20.

19. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've been using an SKB Roll-X 5 space rack case for my rack case needs. I'm sure there are better rack cases out there, but the advent of the luggage style pull-out handle and smooth rolling wheels is fantastic.

20. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    It's huge though!