help with wiring(dan armstrong)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stevekim, Sep 20, 2000.

1. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i think there is something wrong the with the way my dan armstrong bass is wired. i think it might have something to do with the grounding but i'm not sure. when it's on i hear a noticable hum that will cycle between getting louder and softer. this is not only very annoying, it affects my playing as well. when the hum is at it's softest, the note i play on the bass is much softer than usual.

if anyone can help me out, i'd very much appreciate it. fyi, it's an late 60's dan armstrong without the switch.

2. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    I have an Ampeg Dan Armstrong bass that had the pickup go bad a few years ago. With continuous internet searching, I was able to locate the original wiring diagram for these and found out that Dan's son Kent (Kent Armstrong Pickups..."Sky Pickups" I think is the company name) can rebuild the pickups if you have the original. He is making the pickups for the reissues. He rebuilt mine and I had it re-installed into the bass according to the Ampeg diagram and one half of it still didn't not work. After talking to Kent on the phone we tried wiring the pickup straight and found that it did in fact work so the problem was know in the guitar's circuit. With some playing around we reversed the ground off of the pickup with one of the two leads and found that that was the problem...the original Ampeg diagrams given to dealers has two leads reversed! I have since helped another individual who had a simular problem with their DA bass, and we found the doing the exact same reversing of leads when reinstalling the fixed pickup was the trick. What is unusal about the DA bass pickups is that there are actually two seperate pickups in the one epoxy shell and what is taken to be a tone control on the instrument is really a pickup blend. Anyway, if you want, email me either your address or fax number and I will forward a copy of the wiring diagram for this bass to you.

3. Daniel Dingess

Daniel Dingess

Mar 16, 2015
    Just a bass player
    I have a similar situation. Do you still have the wiring diagram that you used for your Dan Armstrong? Any help would be appreciated.
    Dan Dingess
  4. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Not sure if I still have the wiring diagram or not, but I think if you search you online the diagram is probably out there. In the meantime, I will try to remember to go through my files and see if I can locate the one I have. Another Kent Armstrong. He made the pickups for the reissues, so he knows the wiring scheme. When I was having trouble with mine I actually called him in England to get it straightened out.