Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with wiring diagram?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Scooch, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Scooch

Scooch

Mar 11, 2005
    Hi I'm new to the whole bass modifications scene and I was wondering if anyone could do me a huge favour and colour this diagram for me i.e. put in red lines for hot wires, grey lines for neutral lines, black for grounds and any other wires. I know I'm asking for a lot but if anyone could do this it would help me out tons!

[​IMG]

Taken from
    http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/I-0032.html

Which has a very good guide on electronics I suggest any people not understanding pickups/wiring read this.

Thanks!

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    sorry, it's impossible to make a generic coloring since different makes/models have different wiring - some are 2 wire, some are 4 wire etc, some are colored differently.

If you have a wiring question regarding a specific brand, provide more details and I'll be glad to help.

3. As a learning exercise, I suggest you start with the output jack. How many wires go to it? Which one is which? Trace the ground back from the output jack, see where it goes. Trace the hot wire back from the output jack, see where it goes.

Try to understand the connections to the volume and tone controls--so what would be connected to each one?

And if you look really hard, you'll see a minor omission on one of the volume pots...both pots should have the "top" terminal soldered to the case (the picture only shows the left case grounded)...

4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Bill,
    Actually both volume pots would be grounded by the leftmost pot's lug being connected to ground, as the ground lugs are connected in that diagram.

5. Here you go.

Black is ground. Red is hot.

A fairly typical Jazz bass wiring diagram using two wire single coil pups.

As mentioned, some manufacturers pups wiring will be different.

Depending on what pups you're using, you may want to check the manufacturer's wiring diagram, but this will work fine with two wire (hot and ground) Jazz single coil pups.

[​IMG]

Cheers,

;)

6. Scooch

Scooch

Mar 11, 2005
    Thanks a bunch guys, I'm assuming the black wire that goes to the top of the pots from one of the lugs is a ground?

7. Gotta disagree. The case of the middle pot isn't joined to the other pots, so there's no ground--the floating bridge ground doesn't count, so where would the ground come from? There's no internal connection between the top lug of the pot and ground... Luke73's drawing would be correct.

8. My addition of the ground line from the lug on the second pot to the casing would be necessary if the pots were mounted in a non-conductive control cavity, such as timber. If however, the control cavity had been well shielded and was conductive, or a metal control plate from a Jazz bass was used for mounting the pots the ground line from the lug to the case is redundant and not required, as the pot mounting would effectively ground it's case.

That said however, there's no harm in including it, and I usually do so.

;)

9. You're welcome :)
    Yes, it is ;)

When you're soldering to the case of the pots, ensure that you have a soldering iron with sufficient heat to do the job quickly, as overheating the pot can damage it.

Also, if you're mounting onto a metal Jazz control plate, do your soldering before you attach the pots, as the control plate will act as a heatsink - making it take longer to sufficiently heat the pot's case to solder the ground lug onto it.

10. That was my basic assumption, that the two pots weren't going to be mounted on a conductive surface....even if they were, I'd still prefer to have the pickup ground hard-wired...great minds think alike :D

11. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    I meant that both of the volume pot ground lugs would be grounded by the shared connection, not the cases. I assumed a conductive control plate (not always a safe assumption, as you pointed out).