Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with wiring my jazz...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Beav, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I bought a Duncan 1/4 pound bridge pickup and wired it in with my stock neck pickup just like every schematic I've seen, but something isn't working right. When I run both pickups a full volume my signal cuts in half and only the bridge pickup works. If I turn either pickup down while the other is at full volume it pretty much totally cancels out. For example if my neck p'up is at full volume and my bridge is at 90 % I can barley hear the neck pickup and vise versa. Does anyone have any idea of what I'm doing wrong?

2. First, make sure one outer post of the pickups volume pot goes to ground, the pickup hooks to the wiper and the signal out to the jack connects to the other outer post on the pot. This will keep one pickups volume from effecting the other.
    After that lets see what happens.

3. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    On a whim I decided to see if they could be out of phase so I'm going to see if this is the deal, if not I'm uber stumped.

4. Let us know what you find.

5. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    They were indeed out of phase.