1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with wiring Seymour Duncan Music Man Replacements p-up and pre?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Da LadY In Red, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Here's the message I sent to the Seymour Duncan inquiry. I was wondering if someone could look at what I've done as well and tell me if they can see some mistakes.

I'm putting the Musicman Replacements Pick and Preamp in a Ernie Ball Sterling. I can't get it to work. Here's what I've done.

1)I twisted the red and black wires from pickup and soldered them to the gray wire from preamp.
    2) I twisted the white, green, and plain/silver wires from the pickup together and soldered it to the terminal in the control cavity that is screwed to the side of the control cavity
    3)I desoldered the battery clip wires and soldered the wire on the existing battery compartment so that the black wire connects with the part that touches the negative part of the 9 volt battery and the red wire goes to the part that touches the positive part of the 9 volt battery.

The rest of the wire I have left untouched. There is also another wire that comes from the battery compartment area that isn't attached to the battery. I assume this is a ground that is supposed to be soldered to the input jack, but which terminal? By the way, I'm using the tone circuit with 3 knobs instead of 4 knobs. Am I doing something wrong? Have I possibly screwed up the battery wiring? Any mistakes?

Here's the wiring diagrams for the 4 knobs/4 pot pre and p-up
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/music_man.html

Thanks for the help!

2. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    The ground side of the battery (black wire) needs to go to the shorter of the two little contacts that stick down from your input jack. If you look closely at the jack you can tell which terminal connects to it. It should be where the battery ground was hooked up originally. This allows the battery ground to make connection with the instrument ground when you plug in your instrument cord thus turning on the preamp.

If you look at the schematic it shows this connection.

Uhh, silly question, but are you sure you are using a battery that isn't dead?

Posting a picture might also help ...

3. I soldered the preamp and battery grounds to the smaller of the prongs shown on the diagram and kept the battery wire soldered to the center prong with the white preamp wire soldered to the largest of the 3 prongs.

It's not working. What's the matter?