1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with Wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MattGibbons, Mar 9, 2013.

1. MattGibbons

MattGibbons

Mar 9, 2013
    i'm completely new to this wiring stuff, i found a wiring diagram on this forum, i would like to know wether it will work and if possible instead of having the double diode setup and a master tone, having bridge tone and neck tone. any help would be greatly received. Thanks Matt
    pjbasswiring.

2. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I can't help you, but if you ask fellow TBer "line6man", he'll know. He's excellent with all sorts of electronics questions.

3. Your distortion pot is backwards. It should be wired the same as a tone control, but with diodes instead of a capacitor. Also, the tone and distortion controls should go before the volume pot, so that the impedance does not change so much when the volume is adjusted.

4. As far as having two tone controls go, they will both behave as master tones when the pickups are parallel, unless you add fixed resistors in series with the signal paths. The compromise is that you will lose output.

5. MattGibbons

MattGibbons

Mar 9, 2013
    i'd understand if you couldn't but if you could it would really help if you could draw an improved diagram

6. Sure. Just give me a couple of days at the most.

7. MattGibbons

MattGibbons

Mar 9, 2013
    Thanks, you're really helping
    Matt

8. Here is the "proper" wiring of the VBT setup with diode distortion:
    8545115601_ae9709ae72_o.
    And here is a diagram by TB member Stealth, which shows the wiring for two tone controls with a blend and master volume:
    bass.

9. MattGibbons

MattGibbons

Mar 9, 2013
    Just a few questions: for the two neck pickups, do I connect them in series or in parallel ?
    In the picture with distortion effect are they normal diodes or Zener diodes, if Zener what value?
    In the first picture are they all 250k pots?
    In the first picture what value is the capacitor?
    Thanks, Matt

10. P bass pickups are wired in series.

Zener diodes are not suitable for this application. You need something with a low forward voltage drop and fast switching speed, and reverse conduction above a breakdown voltage is not necessary. Schottky diodes are usually preferred in this application. In any case, your original diagram specified a specific diode.

Pot and capacitor values are personal preference.

11. Cadfael

Cadfael

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany, EU
    *OFF TOPIC* :bag:

We have Schottky, Tungsten and LaB6 cathodes in our company. But they cost a bit too much. Two of them (at least Schottky and LaB6) would be more expensive than many basses ...
    It's also hard to get a vacuum chamber into the bass ...

12. MattGibbons

MattGibbons

Mar 9, 2013

Thanks man, I appreciate the help :D