Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP!!!Yamaha TRB or Warwick Streamer?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jcburn, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Guys and girls.Looking at buying either a Warwick Streamer stage I 5 or older Yamaha TRB 5P.Dont have the option to try either.Have just come from a Warwick NT 6 Thumb and loved everything about it but wanted a five.Will save a few pennies with the Yammy but there are pros and cons for each.Anyone with any opinions?

2. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I have owned quite a few Warwicks - Corvettes, Fortress, Infinity and Streamer (an LX4). The most comfortable was the Streamer - because of its curved body. As for a five string - get the Streamer if it is a 35" scale. I was not overly happy with my Corvette Proline 5 at a 34" scale.

Good luck

3. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    My main bass is a '97 Yamaha TRB5 (35" scale) and I have had a Thumb bolt-on 5 and a Streamer LX 4. The Yamaha has the the best playability, due to the better balanced body (longer upper horn) and the neck profile is more comfortable (to me) than the Warwick's. The Streamer LX has an excellent, unique sound; The Yamaha sound more Feder-ish.

The B-string on my Yamaha is very good, but I think the older TRB 5P had 34" scales, and if remember correctly they were neck-through, so they might sound different.

Overall, if you really like the Warwick sound (as you had a Thumb before) and want to stick with it, go for the Streamer. If you are looking for a more polite sound and something different, go for the Yamaha.

4. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I personally liked the sound of a TRB much better - much fatter and warmer. Every Warwick I've played has an inherent extreme treble tone, and the EQ can't effectively fix it. But then again if you like the Warwick sound, then go with that. The TRB has wider string spacing and I believe larger EQ capabilities.

5. I think it's a taste thing.

Warwicks have a particular mid-heavy sound which some people really like, and I happen to dislike. I also don't like the balance of most Warwicks, and the feel of the necks.

My main bass is a Yamaha TRB-6 (so I think you can see where I'm going with this), which has a much more refined and flexible sound in my opinion. The balance is excellent, and the neck is perfect for me - slim and wide.