Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by AoD, Dec 1, 2003.

1. AoD

Nov 20, 2003
    lebanon, beruit
    hi there iam a new bassist i play some tabs to so bands i need a advices :confused: :bawl:
    first how to start and play well
    second how to try and get my band working together or how can cool things up

please replaye thx
  2. Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    that's a little harsh, ay???

as a recent convert to the "tab will hurt you" school of thought - i'd say take those songs you already learned on tab and play them along with your cds till you can play them really well. try to learn more songs from listening to the cds and picking out the basslines. it's important to develop a good ear, if you learn from tabs you're not going to develop that.

it would also be a good idea to shop around for a teacher that will teach you to read music and help you to play things you want to play. some teachers (around here anyhow) teach only from really boring books and while i feel they may help people to know the basics, it can become REALLY BORING till you start to know what you're doing. i never learned to read and i feel i suffer for it now after playing for 20 yrs or so. it seems harder to learn now than if i had learned it early on.

play as much as you possibly can, learn as much as you possibly can, when you're ready for a band i think you'll know it.
  4. tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    Read various bass sites. This is one of the best but here is another that will help with all you want.

It worked for me my band loves the way I am playing the bass. I still got alot to learn however.

5. tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    Also I don't read tab nor do I read bass cleft really well. I just work off finger patterns since most are repts. off a root note. Might help

6. hernan

Apr 10, 2003
    almagro, argentina
    First of all, sorry for my english :( . Second, I am a newby and this
    worked fine for me ... hope it helps you too

My advice to start to learn the fretboard:

1) took couple of nice scales (blues, pent minor/major, dorian, etc)
    2) took a diagram with the circle of fifths
    3) try the scales, slowly, following the circle (C pent m, G pent m, etc)
    4) name the notes as you go
    5) you should be able to know the fret from 1 to 12

My advice to learn playing with groove:

1) took some rythm exercises, focused on figures and silences
    2) took a metronome, start slow (40-50)
    3) go from simple riff to more complex ones

Listen a lot of different music. Good luck, keep practice and learn to love your bass :p
  7. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Developing a good ear is certainly essential. But learning scales and theory gives you options.