1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jayrad, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Jayrad

Jayrad

Apr 7, 2015
    Hey everybody, I was looking to upgrade the pickups in my Spector Legend 5 Classic. they're the stock emg's but I barely know anything about pick ups or electronics or anything so I wouldn't know what size or model I would be looking for. I'm just looking for a fatter, clearer more versatile tone than I've been getting. I did a little digging but didn't find a whole lot so any knowledge anybody has to share would be awesome as I'm a total noob, thanks.

2. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    I used to have one of those (4 string). The bass played really nice, and was very light, and comfortable for me. I thought the pickups and pre amp made for a muddy sound though. It was plenty fat, but "unclear", or muddy. For me, even more than the pickups I didn't like that preamp, it was crazy hot, and distorted, and it over drove anything I plugged it into. I sold the bass, but I did feel it was well worth upgrading. I'm fairly sure the "SSD" pickups are copies of the EMG Hz pickups. If yours say EMG on them it might just be that Tone Pump Jr. preamp making them sound muddy. Anyway EMG's website has a large selection of direct replacements for those, all of which are better then the ones you have now, but. I'm not sure if you can get the sound you're after with the preamp you have. All the EMG pickups are relatively expensive, but, yes, they are that good, and that's why. They sell better preamps, and so do many other people. Any preamp with 2 band (treble, bass, volume) could be wired to work with what's on their site, and you could email, or call them for recommendations.

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Measure them first, find what fits. Likely a somewhat standard size.