Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help!!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Nick Bibeault, Feb 8, 2004.

1. I was just installing a set of dunlop strap locks in place of the old shaller strap buttons and the head of the screw in the dulop strap lock broke off from the rest of the screw while being installed into the but end of the instrument! I wasn't using a freakish amount of force or anything since it is my most valuable bass and i didn't want to stress the screws in as it is. Its current situation is the screw is a little over 1/8" exposed from the instrument and there is no good way to grip it with pliers to try to back it out. The strap button itself is not on the instrument as it came off with the head of the screw. I just dont understand why this happend. Is there some way this screw has a manufacturer's deffect?

I am completely lost as to what to do. Please help if you can or give me ideas on what to do. If i cant do it with your help i'll be taking it to the Builder of the bass to see if he can help me with anything.

Thank you for any help. :bawl:

2. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    Did you predrill a hole before you inserted the screw? If you didnt, that is probably the cause for it. I have done the same thing but, stripped out the head of the screw. The screw hole that was there before was probably to small for the screw for the Dunlop lock system. Next time try drilling out the hole first.

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    If the head broke off, you can get the strap button off of the stump, right? I have used vise grips to remove broken screws before.

If you want to bring it down, I will look at it and see if I can get it out. The Dunlops use fatter screws than the Schallers so they do not always fit in the same hole.

4. Thank you Matt, i'll be back in Amherst this afternoon so i'll give you a call later and we can schedule a time for you to look at it.

And yes, the strap button is off and there is just a stump there.

5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I agree, you should be able to get it out with vise grips.
    I've taken studs out of automotive heads with those-took a bit of effort, but it worked.
    As long as you've got enough screw sticking out to grab hold of, you should be ok.

6. If the screw is too far into the body for gripping with visegrips, I've used a short piece small metal tubing to make a "coring" bit. The tube can be automotive brake line as long as it's the right diameter to go over the screw. What you do is make a short slit up one side of the tube, enough to be able to bend a corner out and make a cutting edge. Chuck this into a drill and slowly turn it around the offending screw stub. Remember to keep in mind that drills turn clockwise and you'll have to put the cutting edge on the right side of the slit to work. The "bit" will dig in and surround the screw. After you've cored down deep enough, just break out the stuck screw and fill with a wood dowel and finish appropriately.