Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eldarking, Mar 24, 2004.

1. eldarking

eldarking Guest

Jul 7, 2001
    Witham, Essex, UK
    Hi,
    I'm looking to get myself a new stack at some point in the future (hopefully before August). At the moment, I am looking at this:
    • Hartke HA3000 Head (300W @ 4 Ohms, 180W @ 8 Ohms)
      [​IMG]
    • Ashdown MAG 210T Cab (200W @ 8 Ohms - 2 x 10")
      [​IMG]

From the research I have done, I've worked out that the total power output will be 180W through the Ashdown cab, becuase the Hartke produces that at 8 Ohms. Correct?

Here's the twist. Can I get another cab, rated at 100W @ 8 Ohms to push the total output to 300W @ 4 Ohms? If so, can anybody reccommend any suitable cabs?

Thanks!
    Craig

2. With one 8 ohm cab your amplifier will produce somewhere near the max rated output at 8 ohms of 180w. With two 8 ohm cabs your amplifier will produce somewhere near the max rated output at 4 ohms of 300w.

You don't need a 100w cab though. Those are hard to find anyway. A second 200 watt-er would work fine.

3. eldarking

eldarking Guest

Jul 7, 2001
    Witham, Essex, UK
    But buying a 200W cab rather than a 100W one would be more expensive, right? Also, that would leave me 100W short on power (200 + 200 = 400 and the head only provides 300).

Is the compromise worth the money?

4. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003

Don't worry about being short on power and, thinking about it, I really can't think of anyone (reputable) who makes a 100w cab.

5. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

the Hartke HA4000 { 400 watts @ 4ohm } would probably be better suited to having two 8ohm cabinets { might i suggest avatar B210 cabinets ? }
    the combination would be terrific , and the cost is around $499.00 new , for the Hartke , around $ 229.00 per each Avatar . shopping for the cabinets on E-BAY might be cheaper , as Dave at Avatar often runs specials on these cabinets ... :cool:
    check out Avatarspeakers.com website for descriptions and power handling . :D

6. He's in the UK so Avatar is probably out of the question. The suggestion about the HA4000 is a good one (or its UK equivalent). Pair it with another Mag 210 and you'd have a very nice portable little rig. eldarking- For future reference; You don't need to worry so much about the power handling of the cab unless your amp produces more power then the cab is rated for, not less. Let us know what you diced to go with!

7. Ok, I think you are confused...or maybe I am so correct me if I’m wrong...

Anyway, you have an amp with two parallel outputs. It is capable of producing somewhere near 300w at 4 ohms. That means somewhere near 150w is going out each parallel output to each 8 ohm cab in the arrangement you suggest. Each cab is receiving the same amount of power. There is no reason to think that you should use a lower rated cabinet to achieve exactly the power handling (RMS) that the amp is rated for. You could use a 1400w (RMS) cab if you wanted to. Your amp still puts out 180w (give or take) into 8 ohms and 300 into 4 ohms. The amp is producing a given amount of energy and the speakers use every bit of that energy regardless of their RMS rating.

Lastly, no, it wouldn't be cheaper to buy a 100w cab...actually it would be really difficult to find one. The lowest rated cab I know of is the Hartke transporter 2x10 and that one is 150w. There are probably cheaper cabs, but power handling is not directly proportional to cost. :cool:

8. Two parallel outs (one each) into two 8 ohm cabs shows the amp a 4 ohm load. The watts will be distributed evenly between the two cabs.

My statement about the cabinets power handling not mattering in this case goes to the same point you just made. :D

9. eldarking

eldarking Guest

Jul 7, 2001
    Witham, Essex, UK
    Thanks for the help guys!

My mum has pressured me into dropping the second cab anyway (she doesn't like me spending too much money at once), so I'm still looking at the same setup, but without the extra cab.

Thanks again,
    Craig