Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by twitchy, Mar 27, 2004.

1. twitchy

twitchy

Mar 27, 2004
    sorry i dont even know if i posted this in the right place, i need some help. i have about a 10+ year old gibson bass and its called "The Grabber", if any of that matters i want a distortion petal and i told my friend that, and he said i should get a metal petal. I dont know what to get, i just want the sound that the distrotion pedal makes on an electric guituar. Whatever you suggest i get, what is the best kind? pefferably under $100. thank you for any help.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well Twitchy, what kind of distortion do you want. Name a song with the tone perhaps? There's everything from a blistering tube scream like Zakk Wylde or fuzzy overdrive like Korn, or bluesy overdrives like some great bands i.e. Allman Brothers and Gov't Mule.

But be warned, it will not sound the same considering the input is different. If you get that tone, it will be very muddy and difficult to decipher.

3. twitchy

twitchy

Mar 27, 2004
    i want the kind of distortion its sounds like in "Brain stew" by Green day.

if you havnt heard it, and this link works go here and click on "brain stew"...

http://www.greenday.com/videos.php3

4. More like 25+ years old, gotta love that sliding pickup. Check out the Digitech X-Bass distortion, covers a lot of ground.

5. twitchy

twitchy

Mar 27, 2004
    anyone else have an opinion? (no offesnese bassbrad but i like two or more opions.)

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    lots of people like boss odb-3, proco rat, digitech, sans amp.

thats the main choices you have before you move to more expensive "boutique" stuff.

7. twitchy

twitchy

Mar 27, 2004
    and tplyons what kind of distortion do i need?

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    tplyons likes muff.

9. Who doesn't? ;)