Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LarryO, Apr 13, 2004.

1. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Band needed a bass player, I auditioned. I had 1 of there songs down perfect, they liked it and "took me in". Now I am in the process of learning all of their songs at a pace of 2 songs per week, and these songs are not simple, while balancing a full time job, wife, 18 month old son..........ahahahhahaha SERENITY NOW!!!!!!!
    I need words of encouragement guys!!!

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    abark is a man of few words, Larry. What kind of music is it? Sounds like a good gig. They regularly gig?
  3. thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
    Your wife is the key -- her support is imperitive. Being left alone with an 18 month old son isn't easy, and just wait until you have more kids!

My band practices weekly and gigs once or twice a month. I have three sons -- ages 3, 2, and 1. My wife is incredibly supportive of my being in a band, but I don't push it. I usually don't go to practice until the kids are ready for bed. Also, my bandmates are very understanding of my family obligations. They have to be -- I'm the only bass player in town :)
  4. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Well, my wife is supportive. She is a stay at home mom so being left alone with our 18 month old is a daily event and he's a good kid, and we are not having any other kids. He is the first and last.
    It's just the work that is overwhelming there any software out there that can pick out notes from an mp3 file? I am kind of working these songs out without help from the guitarists unless I ask for it. I am taking an active roll in learning their songs but they are not taking an active roll in teaching me the songs they wrote........We will gig as soon has I get enough songs down,,,,,do you think the guitarists are just "letting me hang", or they are confident enough in me to learn the songs????
    Oh Govithoy, I don't know how to label the music. It's hard rock, possibly metal, but also very melodic........I'd say it's like Helmet meets Tool/A Perfect Circle, Meets Opeth
  5. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I was in the exact position you are in about two months ago.

A wife, three kids, two jobs, etc. I joined a new band and while the music isn't terribly difficult, it's all new material to me and some of it is rockabilly and discerning the upright bass from the mix is difficult.

However, I downloaded and installed "Transcribe". I think it's like $40 but it's a got a free trial period if you want to check it out.

I converted all of my practice CD's to MP3's and when I learn a new tune, I can slow it down, change the pitch, EQ it and isolate the bass much better than just practicing to a CD on my stereo. You can isolate sections of the song and loop them for practicing only a single part over and over. Transcribe shows you the soundwaves and you can mark sections where they start and finish, so it is easy to see where a part starts and finishes.

And because you can change the pitch, no matter what tuning the recording is at, there is no need to keep retuning your bass between songs.

A pretty cool piece of software for learning new material.

There is also a great piece of hardware that I would love to get. It allows you to plug your bass right into it and it does everything. You can use headphones then and practice anytime and anywhere and not disturb anyone. It's called the Tascam CDBT1 Portable CD Bass Trainer. Check out the link for it. CDBT1.html
  6. "mad at me" :p