Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1. ok my band is starting to make it big by playing in big venues and concert halls.

ok now my concern august 13 will be my first BIG show opening up for Wasp at harpos in detroit michigan.

i have a bad case of stage fright. i cant even give a speech in class
    i dont want to screw up and screw everyone else up cause everyone ll be mad at me and want to kick my butt!

HELP!

Give me some advice what do you do?

im only 16 and wow...

i would appreciate any advice or techniques anybody uses

cheezncrackers2006@yahoo.com

2. I think that stage fright is partially due to a lack of confidence. The rational fear that you might make a mistake or not play well. If you prepare for the gig by practicing like a madman so you get to the point where everything just becomes natural and, you'll at least take that out of the equation.

Another part of stage fright is likely caused by worrying about what other people think about you. If you stop caring what other people think and just worry about what you think, you're half way there. Or, just think about the people who are thinking good things about you. Spot some cute girl in the audience and play just for her. Imagine that she's watching and listening to you and loving every minute of it. :D

Or, if the lights are bright enough, sometimes you can't even see the audience. You can then pretend that nobody is there.

- Dave

3. And another thing to keep in mind that playing in a large venue the bass really looses a lot of definition through the big room. Even a mistake can easily be covered by the shear power of a big PA. I hope that makes sense, also since it's a live gig the music goes in the ears and is quickly forgotten, much more forgiving than recording. And I've played in front of 20,000 people once and to be honest you can't even see more than a hundred or 2. And I agree practice, and be so comfortable with the music that you don't even have to think or worry about that. :) And other than that, don't freak out, this is your dream, it's supposed to be fun not scary. Just go out there with a clear head and have fun, it's not like the crowd could string you up from the rafters for playing a wrong note. :)
    Oh yeah you could always use the old trick of picturing the audience naked. LOL
    Good luck,
    Dirk

4. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Good advice. I'd add the meditation technique of just trying to be present with your fear. Before the show, spend a few quiet moments really being aware of what you're feeling without analysis or judgment. It sounds like new age jive, but it's actually an ancient concept and some folks find it tends to lend a larger perspective to difficult situations.

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    One thing that helped me with stage fright was just the realization that getting out and playing for people was something that many of those in the audience dreamed of doing themselves. So when you're out there playing, just think that a lot of those people out there are thinking you've got one of the coolest jobs around. ;)

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Harpo's! Good job man, congrats, that's a high-scale place in terms of Detroit metal! Just watch where you park your car ;)

That kind of venue can be intimidating for sure, but not to worry about it. Make sure you know your material so well you could play it while asleep. Try to think of it as nothing more than a band practice with a few people watching. If you're really nervous, don't make any direct eye contact with anyone in the crowd. Eventually it won't bother you anymore.

If you make a mistake, don't dwell on it. Everyone makes them, all part of being human. 90% of the time, you'll be the only one who realizes it. Practice hard and know your stuff, and there won't be any major mistakes.

Let us know how it goes :)

7. Erm... I've no real experience of doing rock gigs of any real size, but I've played in an orchestra to quite a few people. It's a fairly good bet that you will screw up during the gig. Sorry, but the laws of probability just mean that *something* will go wrong. You can either let this worry you throughout the gig - waiting for the inevitable to happen or try to relax and enjoy the night.

The bottom line? Have fun! Smile! It's really awesome that you're getting to play such a cool gig. You're opening for a great band. You've got some neat songs lined up. You enjoy playing your bass, and people have showed up to the gig. Smile. Enjoy. Isn't this great?!

Hope you have a wonderful gig. All the best,
    Mike

8. Tonkenna

Tonkenna

Dec 15, 2003
    Loughborough, UK
    I agree - enjoy it while you're doing it. My biggest gig was about 800 people (peanuts to you bigtime guys :) ), in a band I had joined two days beforehand - I had the chord sequences and patterns taped to the back of my bass, and couldn't really enjoy it until after!

And as someone's said, you will make mistakes. This is not a big deal. Most likely you'll be hyper-critical of yourself and your playing. Everyone else in the room will be giving you much more slack...... watch the audience, if they're enjoying it, you're probably doing alright.

When the mistakes happen, you can almost guarantee no-one in the audience will notice, as long as you let the mistake go and don't dwell. The biggest problem I had was when I made a mistake was to try to correct it - by the time you do you're behind the song. Make the mistake, forget it, and keep playing!

Remember, people don't a) listen to the bass, unless they're bass players, b) don't spot mistakes unless they can see it in your face.

It's odd though, my way of dealing with that stress is exactly the opposite to Michael Manring's - instead of examining my feelings I completely ignore the problem, deliberately don't think about it and as a result don't worry so much. Often I don't get the nerves until afterwards and I realise what I've done.

Good luck.

Phil

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    You know if your playing your own original music that no one has ever heard before no one knows when your playing a wrong note.

I played a gig in a little bar where every one could hear every note I played. I had to stop half way through lenny kravitz - fly away because it sounded like to me as if the drummer was floating in and out of time I quickly found my place again within a second but you know what. No one noticed, all night I thought I sucked in fact we all did but we got nothing but compliments (Except from the sound guy - But I don't respect a soundguy that will only use the PA for one mic and uses a zoom 505 as a vocal processor)

Just relax its the best advice out there. If you feel you can play all the songs in your bedroom in front of your cat then you should just as easily be able to play infront of an audience.

Hope this helps

10. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Some good points there, especially regarding mistakes.

Mistakes are inevitable. Put them behind you immediately and just get yourself back in the groove. One of the most disconcerting things you might ever see in a performance is when a musician makes a mistake and then calls attention to it by whacking his head, throwing his hands in the air, acting flustered, etc. Pros make mistakes now and then, but they know enough not to do that.

Relax and enjoy the gig. How cool is it that you can have fun and provide a good time to hundreds of people at the same time? :hyper:

11. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Yah! Harpo's Way Cool....what's the name of your band???