Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'm having a helluva time coming up with a good solo in B. Can ya help a rodent out? It's a punk rockish type tune.

2. EmmSee

EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    What's the question? Haha... punk? mess around with an F# major triad inspired ditty over the band laying down the B.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    F#? Thanks. I've got ax in hand, so I'll give that a try now. Thanks. I also considered switching modes.

4. EmmSee

EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, give it a whirl.

I have something in my head to try, but I'm at work, haha.

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    you could try something in the lydian mode...that would give you the open 'e' as a base...but since f# is a perfect 5th, it may sound a little better...i dunno...i think you've got a lot to work with...i saw your el-pus video clip, so i got faith in ya, man ;) good luck!

6. is it B major, minor, or dominant?

BTW Hey Woodchuck! I am in NorCal now. Don't really miss the place, just the people. Hope you are well.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I am, I hope you are too. They're not letting anywhere near "wine country", are they?! :D

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Sometimes the key to playing a great solo is not worrying too much about the key. Just play something that sounds good. Often times I find that my best solos are the first take; I mostly keep them, mistakes and all. It may not be note perfect, but I believe that vibe is the most important thing to capture in the studio.

Listen to Flea's solo on Naked In The Rain. It's not note perfect - hell, it's all over the place - but it's got a great vibe. Strive for that.

9. yes I am right smack in the middle of Wine Country!! :D

so...you never answered whether it was maj, min, or dominant...here are some ideas:

minor: (1,b3,5,b7)
    maj7 chord tones from the b3 (in Bminor, play Dmaj7 CHORD TONES ONLY...D,F#,A,C#)
    do the same thing from the b7 (Amaj7 chord tones)

dominant: (1,3,5,b7)
    try diminished arps ... gives you a 7b9 sound
    whole tone scale

major: (1,3,5,7)
    minor pentatonic scale from the 3 or the 7 (play either D min pentatonic or A min pentatonic)

that should get you started...edit: I should learn not to drop names!!