Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 10-4bassist, Jul 8, 2004.

1. i am new at playing bass and i don't know how to tune the bass lower or higher to different notes..............there are some songs that i want to learn and they aren't in standard tuning.......................can someone tell me how i tune it down to a different note?............like how do i get the e string to a d......

2. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Buy a tuner, plug in your bass, and turn that little peg thingy on the top til the tuner says "D".

3. yeah, definately getting a tuner if you are new (no offense but to ask that question you would have to be :p ) Playing the 12th fret on the E and the open D at the sametime is IMO the best way to see how close you are without a tuner.

Have fun learning :cool:

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    It's not a bad idea to get a tuner - but, do be able to tune your bass without it, it's especially important if you are new. When you are tuning to standard tuning, use the tuner to make sure that your E string is tuned to E and then use your ears to check the reletive tuning on the other 3 strings.

As far as tuning to drop d - what I've usually done is make sure the instrument is tuned (in standard tuning) then detune the E string (4th string) a bit and play the 7th fret on the 4th string and tune it to the open A string.

5. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I tune to low d by playing the 3rd string (d) and then matching it with the E (1st string).

6. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    ...I fixed it for you:

It is generally accepted that when refering to the strings on a four string bass by number, the strings are numbered high to low - 1st string is G, 2nd string is D, 3rd string is A, 4th string is E

7. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut

My ignorance is shining :crying: