1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

help

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 10-4bassist, Jul 8, 2004.

1. i am new at playing bass and i don't know how to tune the bass lower or higher to different notes..............there are some songs that i want to learn and they aren't in standard tuning.......................can someone tell me how i tune it down to a different note?............like how do i get the e string to a d......

2. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Buy a tuner, plug in your bass, and turn that little peg thingy on the top til the tuner says "D".

3. yeah, definately getting a tuner if you are new (no offense but to ask that question you would have to be :p ) Playing the 12th fret on the E and the open D at the sametime is IMO the best way to see how close you are without a tuner.

Have fun learning :cool:

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    It's not a bad idea to get a tuner - but, do be able to tune your bass without it, it's especially important if you are new. When you are tuning to standard tuning, use the tuner to make sure that your E string is tuned to E and then use your ears to check the reletive tuning on the other 3 strings.

As far as tuning to drop d - what I've usually done is make sure the instrument is tuned (in standard tuning) then detune the E string (4th string) a bit and play the 7th fret on the 4th string and tune it to the open A string.

5. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I tune to low d by playing the 3rd string (d) and then matching it with the E (1st string).

6. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    ...I fixed it for you:

It is generally accepted that when refering to the strings on a four string bass by number, the strings are numbered high to low - 1st string is G, 2nd string is D, 3rd string is A, 4th string is E

7. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut

My ignorance is shining :crying: