Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by strawburyfields, Sep 5, 2004.

1. :help: Being a girl I have smaller hands than most guys, including my male counterpart who taught me how to play.Well everything is going well so far except when it comes to stretching my fingers across 2 or more frets. (I particularly noticed it today when trying to play Led Zepplins Dazed and Confused) Any exercises to increase flexibility or any tips on how to "cheat" when I play? I'm outta ideas and getting a tad frustrated. :scowl:

2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    My wife played bass professionally for like twenty-five years, and she has quite small hands. I'll ask her if she has any advice for you.

Her favorite bass was the Ripper, by Gibson, until she ordered a custom short scale Travis Bean. In '78 or '79 Travis happened to be making one for Wyman of the stones (the one that appeared on the.. Guitar Player was it? or like 'Modern Musician' or something?.. cover) so he made one for her too.

(She had quit playing bass, and gave the Bean to her son several years ago, before I started playing bass again. I don't want to talk about it... Sigh.)

Joe

3. One solution as was mentioned is a short scale bass, as the frets will be proportionally smaller. A regular Fender bass is 34", you can get short scales in 30" or 32" (and some other wacky lengths too). All in all they are very playable. If not, just practice playing weird chords and stuff. It's not so much to make your fingers more flexible, it's to get them used to using that flex (unless it all means the same... anyways, practice is always good!).