Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mikefish07, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    I'm trying to adjust a Fender American Jazz with a low action. I keep getting string buzz that actually make the 18th and 19th fretted notes sound the same on both the A and D strings. I raised the saddles on those two strings but now the action weird because the E and G strings action is low. I first thought it was a high fret since the 20th fret sounds but before I missed with the truss and bridge the action was lower. Help. Any suggestions. Thanks.

2. Are you adjusting the truss rod, or only the bridge height?

Taking it to extremes, if you make the neck banana shaped, you can drop the string height, and you will only get buzz above the twelve fret. If you straighten the neck out too much, you will have to raise the string height to get rid of buzz below the twelve fret.

You can find basic advice on set-up with a search. If you have done all that, you know more than I do.