Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Vampyre, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Vampyre

Dec 9, 2004
    hey all...i need your help.. me and friends are trying to form a band and we have all the ppel but we have no idea what to play...we dont have a lot of time and it is just for a school assembly but time is running out.. are school also isnt a very......musical school so it isnt liek we have to play anything hard i was just wondering if any1 could recomend some songs that they would all enjoy... or what songs you play at ur gigs that seem to get the best responce form the crowd any help is greatly appreciated
  2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    My favorite song is "spell check blues."
  3. Tighten Up by Archie Bell and the Drells :) What kind of music do you guys like? I am assuming you are doing covers, but probably the best thing a musican can do is play music that you like.
  4. Vampyre

Dec 9, 2004
    we can never seemt to agree on something...and even when we do there always seems to be someone who doesnt want to do the song for w/e reason. We havent played and i've come to realize that some songs just dont dont seem to sound that good in a cheap school gym (no auditorium) We all seem to like the whole metallica thing and so do a lot of ppel in teh school so can any1 give us their oppinion on what metallica songs would sound good...and what wouldnt be that great
  5. OMGWTF111!!! Ne1 nos Mettallikkka Rox0r4! jim or no jiM- mettalupyerazz yo.

Seriously, if all the ppel in your band really like a certain Metallica song- break it in to parts and see what you can do with it. In all honesty, if it's for a school assembly- try something a bit less metal- you might go over better with the chicks.
  6. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    wow! havent' heard that name in a while. i was supposed to go on the road with those
    cats, but turned them down. too bad they only had a couple of hits..
  7. Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    If you want something easy just do Knowledge by Operation Ivy. It's only 3 chords through the song. And it's SHORT1 omgomgomg
  8. Vampyre

Dec 9, 2004
    its not about how hard the song is..we just cant seem to agree on something... *sigh*
  9. My band is does a few metallica songs. We play For Whom the Bell Tolls, which I have a blast playing. But right now we are working on a 3 song metallica tribute, fuel, whiskey in a jar, and for whom the bell tolls. I don't know what it is about playing metallica, although I don't listen to them that much, it gives me some extra kick on stage.
  10. pbass1

Dec 8, 2004
    smoke on the water by deep purple....simple yet very cool to play
  11. Some songs that have a "universal appeal" I think are:
    Should I Stay or Should I Go - The Clash
    Two Tickets to Paradise - Eddie Money
    Bad Case of Lovin' You - Robert Palmer
    Mony Mony - Tommy James and the Shondells

When I've played these songs people really seem to get movin'.
    Also, basically anything Motown often works.
    Good Luck.
  12. just about any song by the dead kennedies....
  13. I second the clash. We just picked some new covers to do, the 2 I picked were I Fought The Law by the clash, and The Joker by Steve Miller. Others included, Dr. Feel good by motley crue, sharp dressed man by zz top, a rocked up version of 500 miles by the proclaimers, and dancin with myself by billy idol.
  14. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Greenday tunes...punk and easy, will go over very well in a school.
  15. For a high school...yep, stay away from old Metallica songs. Sure, somebody might like it, but likely you'll turn off more than 3/4 of the audience.

Here's my list:
    anything by Green Day
    anything by The White Stripes
    anything by Franz Ferdinand
    anything by Modest Mouse
    anything by The Strokes
    anything by The Hives
    anything by The Killers
    anything by The Stooges
    anything by Blink 182

Encore with Hoobastank's "The Reason"

My one bit of advice: It doesn't matter what YOU like or what YOUR band likes, it's what will go over at an assembly and not make you look like flailing idiots.
  16. I dissagree, we had all 1600 students at our school rocking it up at an assembly with Seek & Destroy and Master Of Puppets!

But yes, all those other bands you mentioned work wonders also. My Band know one song from each of the bands you mentioned, just in case ;)
  17. Give em an ole Sammy Davis Jr. ditty!
  18. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Laid, by James. ("this bed is on fire, with passion and love...")

3 chords, fun lyrics, super easy bass and guitar lines that can't be messed up, and a crowd pleaser. Even your teachers will like it. Our band plays it at the no-brainer, but the patrons love it.
  19. Shoka42

Jul 19, 2003
    House of the Rising Sun never fails, mighty impressive song if your singer is good, and you nail it!
  20. Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    Wow. I totally disagree with you there. Granted, it's High School and the whole peer preasure, what will so-and-so think about this band etc, but I say you guys should play music YOU guys want to play. Or else, what's the point in playing music? If you want to play music to make money, look cool and impress the ladies I feel sorry for you.

My band played at our high school talent show in 97', in front of just about the entire school and their parents. We played three original songs that were pretty lousy by my music standards today, but we had high energy and had a great time onstage. And more importantly, so did the audience. There were people dancing in the aisles. And after that show everyone knew my name simply because of that one show.

You could play a couple of covers, but people will just remember, "Oh yeah, they did that GreenDay song..." OR you could do some originals and everyone would say "When's your next show? I'll be there!" Not that there's anything wrong with covers, but originals say a lot more about the band and you as a musician.

Sorry for the long post. Good luck with the show and let us know how it went! :bassist: