Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jphase88, Mar 14, 2005.

1. jphase88

jphase88

Jul 17, 2004
    New Jersey
    im in the market for a new bass (4/5 string) and i was wondering which basses you recommend for somewhere around $600USD? I was looking into Warwick Rockbass Corvette. or a OLP MM2. what do you recommend? i like smooth tone nothing metalic like.

2. You might want to do a quick search for some info as well, but what kind of music you plan on playing?

there are a good amount of solid basses available at that price. Passive MTD Kingstons, Lakland Skyline 55 & 44-01s, Ibanez BTBs (i don't like them but many do).

I personally recommend the Skylines and the Kingstons, but the Kingstons ONLY if you have a HIGH quality tuner for use with the Buzz Feiten tuning system.

3. jphase88

jphase88

Jul 17, 2004
    New Jersey
    i play mostly christian music but once in awhile i like to bust it out and rock. :bassist:

4. well if you like to occasionally rock i'd go with the Lakland, but i hear the BTB fits quite nicely in the gospel/christian sound.

The Laklands have passive switch and are pretty versitile. I'd use a Skyline in pretty much any scenario, but i wouldn't use a BTB in a louder rock type scene cause of the mellow tone. Then again, this is all IMHO, IME, etc.

5. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Try the new, active MTD Kingston. I just bought a 5-string and absolutely love it. Maple neck, maple fretboard, asymetrical neck, Bart pickup, three-band eq, zero fret, Buzz Feiten tuning system. . . for about $500. Check them out.

6. jphase88

jphase88

Jul 17, 2004
    New Jersey
    can you give me a link?

7. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
  8. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Geddy Lee Jazz Bass?

9. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    You could also check out the G&L Tribute series. A nice bass with the more trad. vibe. The Lakland Skylines are very impressive for the price, but I haven't had a chance to check out the MTD Kingstons. You might want to check out the used basses at some places like www.bassnw.com, www.basscentral.com, and www.basspalace.com. They all have an extensive collection of used basses you could look through.

10. jphase88

jphase88

Jul 17, 2004
    New Jersey
    What are the diffrence between a Fender Standard Jazz Bass and a Fender Delux Active Jazz Bass? Are they worth the money? Where is it made?