Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Spearhead, May 20, 2001.

1. Ive recently acquired a large cabinet, but its been giving me a few problems. Its got two 15" in it and the cabinet and the head probably date back to the 70's. I get a lot of fuzz and mild amounts of feedback, is this because of the cab or the head? The cab looks like good working order, it just has this slight feedback that drives me up the wall. The head on the other hand is old and only has tone knobs for bass and treble, no mids. It has two little switches that are labeled gnd and bright; what the hell is that? I cant afford a new head at the moment (poor college student), so I wanna make what I have work the best it can. What should I do? Should I replace the speakers or is the old outdated head my problem?

2. Probably the head, but you need to give model no. and such for more precise answer. Also, have you tried a different head with it? Different cab with it? Did the problem follow the head or the cab when swapped around? Standard tech questions.

Chris

3. BASS_PLAYERS

BASS_PLAYERS

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    Do you know if the sound is just hum or feedback?? Because if it's that old then it is probably a tube amp, and those tend to generate some hum. Also the switches you mentioned are for where it is to be grounded and the bright does what it says: makes the sound brighter. On the Gnd. Switch put it on - if the 3rd prong is broken off of the cord and put it on o if its is still intact.