Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RedBlueFireMan, Aug 4, 2005.

1. RedBlueFireMan

Jul 16, 2005
    when I play my bass with my amp everything seems to be going fine for the first 5 minutes of so. But after a few minutes of playing the amp stops responding even though I keep playing. What should I do?
  2. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Couple questions here:

Is the battery for you pickups dead or is there enough life in them? I ask THAT b/c there might be enough juice from just sitting idle to work, but then they might just die.

Does the amp show any kind of LED indicating clipping or anything like that? I had a similar problem on my HA4000... what kind of amp is this running to?

Lastly: is there any kind of crackling etc. before the sound goes out? It could be a bad cable....
  3. RedBlueFireMan

Jul 16, 2005
    the bass I'm using doesnt have active pickups. so that rules out the battery. I have a behringer bx1200 amp, no led clipping. and yes there is some crackling. So I guess its a bad cable.
  4. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

My old amp did the same thing. It sounded like the speaker had gotten blown. I took it all apart and put the speaker on a different amp (home theater one) and it worked perfectly. Then I hooked a regular speaker to the bass amp and it did the same thing. Crackly and cut way down on the volume. I don't know how that amp is set up, but you might be able to do the same test.
  5. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Get your amp fixed.
  6. RedBlueFireMan

Jul 16, 2005
    My amp was fine. The problem was my cable, it was a cheap 10 dollar cable. Now I'm going with a monster or mogami.