Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

!! Help !!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the_squirrel243, Jun 28, 2001.

1. the_squirrel243

the_squirrel243 Guest

Jun 27, 2001
    ontario, Canada
    I need some help. I don't really know much about bass guitars and was wondering if anybody would help me out. Tell me what kind of equipment is good. Tell me what the best accesories are, what type of bass i should get if i would want to play some more complicated peices of music. That sort of thing. I could ask a more direct question, but i don't know anything yet... so please help me learn.

Thank you for the assistance.

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Hi Squirrel, and welcome to TB. I'm not trying to evade your question, but many of your questions can be answered by cruising the 'search' in this forum. You can also get a lot of info by lurking in the present threads for a while, and then narrowing down your questions for more direct answers. Briefly, get a bass that suits your budget and current musical needs. Both will change, but you have to start somewhere. Play a bunch of basses in your price range, and pick the one you keep coming back to. I would start used on both a bass and an amp.
    Doc

3. the_squirrel243

the_squirrel243 Guest

Jun 27, 2001
    ontario, Canada
    I already got a used bass... thanks for the tip, mind. I will lurk and collect information on my own, but don't think that i don't want general info available right here, I do! its easier for, and i'm a lasy bugger.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

squirrel - With all due respect, with that attitude of always looking for the easiest way out, it won't matter what kind of gear you have because you'll never get anywhere even if you have high $$$$, pro quality, boutique gear. You'll never sound good. The tambourine or the triangle might be a better fit for you if you're not willing to apply yourself. (I used to hate it when my father would say that to me!)

Try this for starters - go to www.bassplayer.com . Click on "Gear" at the top of the page. Then scroll down to an article titled, "How to Buy the Right Bass" by Jeff Berlin. Click on it and you should get pointed in the right direction. The next step is to go to a music store and apply the info in that article.

Then, you can come back here with specific questions about what you saw/tried.

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Trust no-one! You have to use the equip yourself, so it should fit your needs and taste. So, figure out what you want, try out and perhaps buy. Just posted this somewhere else:

Tryout rules are:
    1: ergonomics fit? meaning standing, and sitting. If OK:
    2: tone fits? meaning unplugged and plugged into several different rigs. If OK:
    3: price fits budget? If OK:
    4: buy.

Don't learn the hard way.

6. the_squirrel243

the_squirrel243 Guest

Jun 27, 2001
    ontario, Canada
    When i say that i am a lasy bugger, that means that i have a dial up connection on a buisness line. I don't really have all that much time for lurking on the internet. Instead, I play my bass. Lazyness on the internet is quite differnt from lazyness i real life. But, it does give me incentive.
    Otherwise, thanks for the info and keep it comeing, its all usefull to me.