Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by loser chick000, Jul 8, 2001.

1. Listen i may sound really stupid but i need all the help i can get.....i have no idea how to play a bass and i dont know how to read tabs or anything.....anyone willing to help me please email me at evil_princess_rayna@hotmail.com

Thanks
    Alyssa

2. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
  3. get a cheap bass and find a good local bass teacher in your area. ask around, its worth it, trust me.

4. I dont think there are any bass teachers near where i live.....i live in the boonies of connecticut.....the cheapest bass i could find was a squier or however you spell it.....i dont know how like cheap it is qulity wise but money wise it was the cheapest i could find at guitar center

*alyssa*

5. I learned on a Squire too, there's nothing wrong with them for a beginner.

6. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    how could u not know how to read tabs. u have to be an idiot not knowing, no offense but i mean how stupid can u get.

7. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I don't wanna be a dink, but the first thing I'd do is figure out what you bought. At least know the name of the manufacturer, the model, whether it is active (battery powered) or passive (no battery) and how many strings it has. ;) Take some time to look over your bass and learn the names of it's parts and how they work and what they do. It's hard for me to understand threads asking for help and the person asking doesn't even know what brand or model bass they just bought. To answer your question though, tabs are pretty easy to learn, but it may be in your best interest to find a teacher too (as was already stated). In tab, the numbers on the lines represent the fretted notes and the lines that those numbers are on represent the strings those notes are played on. As far as the little symbols and markings you sometimes see along with these notes -- you may have to deal with them as you come to 'em. if you pick up any kind of tab book (or even a copy of Guitar World magazine), they will have an explanation of some of the common symbols and what they mean at the end (or beginning) of the tabs section. Good luck and welcome to Talkbass! :)

8. Don't you think that's a bit harsh, SkaFreak? You didn't know how to read notatoin or tab until you learned. Nobody is born knowing how to do anything other than eat, sleep, cry, poop, and breath. Everything else must be learned. Give her a break.

9. why do people have to give me such hell just cuz i am learning??? oh my god i am trying something new but i guess to some people that is wrong....so i didnt know how to read tabs....oh man thats so ****ing horrible

*alyssa*

10. noPass/noNick

noPass/noNick

Apr 12, 2001
    hey loser chick, get on yahoo messenger

11. Alyssa, maybe you outta lighten up a little too. :)

Something as simple as "Hey, could someone explain to me how to read tablature?" is NOT worth a flame war. Everyone is entitleds to an opinion and has the right to express it, although I personally think SkaFreak's could have been expressed a bit more tactfully. However, if you let an opposing opinion get to you, I think you'll have a rather rough time here. Just smile and tell yourself, "Okay, THAT one's not going to be any help." And move on to the next reply.

12. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Maybe `cause it's summertime? I heard on the snews
    there's been sporadic outbreaks of "arachnid anulis".

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
  14. How rude of me. I was so wrapped up in playing Mr. Rogers there that I forgot to welcome you Alyssa (sorry, can't bring myself to call you by your screen name).

So, in the hopes that late truly is better than never, Welcome to Talkbass! As is evidenced by the good Jazzbo here, this site is full of good people who actually WANT to help (groovy concept, huh?) by sharing their knowledge, inane stories, and psychotic tendencies. Not to mention advertising how gay they are. :D

Anyway, I hope you find this site as useful and (just as importantly) fun as I have.

15. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I think everyone has to start from somewhere right? Hey Alyssa, welcome to Talkbass! Hope you noticed Jazzbo's post. He's always helpful.

I've been playing bass for only a bit over a year and am still on my 'beginning' Squier...which, my teacher told me, was also his first. :) But, yeah, you should take some time to look over your instrument.

And, at least IMO, tab isn't really a good way to start out. Take some time to learn the notes on the fretboard. You'll be fine. :)

Cheers,

~Stephanie

PS: Umm..cafepurgatory, how do you know if you're 25% gay as opposed to, say, 26%? LOL :D

16. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    how could u not know how to read tabs. u have to be an idiot not knowing, no offense but i mean how stupid can u get.

Hey man how well do you read music? You have probably only set down to read tab for blink 182 or somthing and it will seem a little simple yeah! But try to do with dave mathews band or vic and i bet you anyhting you will say man how do i read the stuff! Be nice next time nobody here wants to here what you have to say if you are going to be a little fart! Welcome to talkbass and if you have any questions just ask me i will be glad to answer them for you!

17. Because I took the test. ;)

www.thespark.com

18. Hello Aylssa and welcome to Talk Bass.

Let's not loose sight of what you're after. You wanna learn the bass. You've come to the right place. This forum is the best in my opinion. There are some really top guys here and there's advice, help and encouragement by the bucket load.

It's not that unusual for newcomers to get nettled by what are sometimes percieved as short, sharp replies and / or put-offs.

I can neither get on with tabs nor can I read a note of music. It's a genuine bind, I can tell you. And I think you should make some attempt to learn to read music @ some time in the future.

For now, why not just listen to loads of music and try to pick out the bass lines. See if you can hum along to it, or something.

There's nothing wrong with a Squier. I've got one. Loads use them on here. They're definitely not the best basses around but thery're certainly not the worst. Invest in a tuner, too. I've got one of those little Korg CA-20 tuners. Great and under £15.

The Activebass website is great. There's loads of stuff to get you up and running as Jazzbo said.

Just go for it and put the, well...misunderstanding behind you.

:DBest wishes.:D

Rockin John

19. hello aylssa girl first of all welcome to the show. second of all dont you think your handle sounds like it would give off a bad vibe about you. and please learn not to let the jerks scare you from trying to learn something new. as for the thing about tab it sounds to me like you are a young lady so if you are smart enought to ask for help i know you can do it.just take your time and be patice with it no body gets this overnight if you stick with it you will have a lifetime of fun

20. Skwad

Skwad

May 26, 2001
    took me about a month before i figured it out. i thought i read the top line, then the next, and so forth. also all the symbals (/,p,h,\, etc.) make it confusing for newbies since there is no real standard way of doing it. don't tell me there is, cuz i even see it in the tabs here.