1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by takeasoriginal, Feb 6, 2006.

1. I am actually a new bass player, i dun have that much knowleage about bass effect, PLZ give me some advise about what effect should i get? i play rock and pop music, and i am planning to get the MXR phase 90, is that a good choice? and what else, thank you very much

2. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    As I just told someone else on this board, if you don't know if you need effects, you don't. This is doubly true if you're a beginning bass player (where there's a tendancy to cover up sloppy playing with effects).

Keeping that in mind...

The Phase 90 would probably do well for pop music, but I'd also say you should look for a good distortion pedal too. Distortion sounds really good for most rock music, and it'll help make the phaser sound better (IMO).

There's a lot of distortion/overdrive related threads on here, read some of them to help make a choice in what's right for you.

Other people will probably point out that you could get a cheap multi-effects pedal like the BP-50, and find out what sounds you like from that, but I personally find that unnecessary--since as soon as you get better, you'll realize that the cheap multi-effects suck, so it's overall a waste of money. Once again, IMO. If you can play some different effects in a music store somewhere, that'll be all you need.

-Dash