Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by takeasoriginal, Feb 6, 2006.

1. I am actually a new bass player, i dun have that much knowleage about bass effect, PLZ give me some advise about what effect should i get? i play rock and pop music, and i am planning to get the MXR phase 90, is that a good choice? and what else, thank you very much

2. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    As I just told someone else on this board, if you don't know if you need effects, you don't. This is doubly true if you're a beginning bass player (where there's a tendancy to cover up sloppy playing with effects).

Keeping that in mind...

The Phase 90 would probably do well for pop music, but I'd also say you should look for a good distortion pedal too. Distortion sounds really good for most rock music, and it'll help make the phaser sound better (IMO).

There's a lot of distortion/overdrive related threads on here, read some of them to help make a choice in what's right for you.

Other people will probably point out that you could get a cheap multi-effects pedal like the BP-50, and find out what sounds you like from that, but I personally find that unnecessary--since as soon as you get better, you'll realize that the cheap multi-effects suck, so it's overall a waste of money. Once again, IMO. If you can play some different effects in a music store somewhere, that'll be all you need.

-Dash