Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by COZ, Aug 26, 2001.

1. someone please explain to me pickups, what they are which ones are better, how they can make my sound better, etc. i know kinda what they are but i'm sort of a goof when it comes to tech stuff. i have a ibenz sr800, are the original pickups good or should i search around. i like having a fat sound but i also like my highs to come through clear. help somebody!
  2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    "Better" is a very subjective and personal term.

First thing to do is to make sure your current bass is properly set up, which can have some effects on sound (like pickup height, for instance, as well as string selection). Better can also be in technique.

Then play it through more than one amp, using neutral settings, at first, and then experimenting with tone. Try to analyze what the sound(s) are and where they may be lacking. That will give you the basis for seeking other sorts of sounds, as well as perhaps describe the type of tone you seek.

Then, try to play other basses and similarly listen to their character, always making sure the amp isn't goosed to mask or enhance the sound, to get a further education on what sounds good to you.

Follow other threads on tone and hardware, and pay attention to who the author is, and whether their advice is balanced or even correct. All too often, comments are skewed: "XXX Strings and YYY Pickups Rule!" -- and then you find out that's the only strings and pickups the guy has played in the two months since he picked up bass ;)

Just some perspective from an old bass player...
  3. hey thanks a lot! i need to fine tune my equipment now, i'm getting tired of making excuses for not learning the tech stuff about guitars. so any advice you have i'd sure like to hear it! thanks
  4. jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR