Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DMatt, Sep 11, 2001.

1. DMatt

DMatt

Jul 12, 2001
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I have an Ibanez soundgear 4-string with a single P-style pickup in it, and I would really like to switch it. I don't know how to change out a pickup, though, electronically speaking. It would be nice if I could really soup the bass up, though, because the neck is hella fast and the action is great. Any help I could get would be great. Thanks!

-Matthew-

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    P-style pickups typically have two leads. Some are different, but they generally come with wiring diagrams. However, if you really have no clue as to what you are doing, and no soldering experience, you really should have a repairman or skilled friend do the work. Shouldn't cost much, as it's a pretty simple job.

I have an old Washburn bass that's probably not worth much that I put a Seymour Duncan SPB-2 in, and it sounds fine. I gig this bass occasionally, when I'm worried about weather or accidents. My point here is that, while changing the pickup didn't make my el-cheapo Washburn into a boutique instrument, it definitely made it more useable.

3. DMatt

DMatt

Jul 12, 2001
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Yeah, I'll probably end up having it done for me, as I am electronically deficient. It's a nice instrumet aside from the lack of tonal range.