Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help!

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by bb77, Nov 12, 2001.

1. bb77

bb77

Oct 13, 2001
    I''ve tried for months and i still can't get it: the perfect pitch.
    I 've heard I can't get perfect pitch anymore because I have to born with it, but at I tried the relative and I still can't tell the difference betweenn a D and an A.
    Any tips or anything please!

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

this is a hard thing to learn but it shouldn't stop you from working the bass! as long as your machine is in tune, you can hit the right note by fretting it - you don't need to "know" its pitch or even sing it in your head. as for trying to learn perfect pitch, I don't have any tips cuz I don't have it either! intervals are probably easier to learn, like the natural third - sing the end of the first line of that french song, "frere jacques," it goes like this: "father john" the 'fa' part is the root, the 'ther' part is the second and the 'john' part is the third. for the flatted third, used willie dixon's "spoonful" - the 'spoon' part is the root and the 'ful' part is the flatted third.

the important thing is don't let not having perfect pitch intimidate you. bass is also a lot about rhythm and not all about harmony. in fact, rhythm is a huge part.

on bass, watt