1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PhilLesh, Aug 25, 2007.

1. PhilLesh

PhilLesh

Aug 25, 2007
    I want to upgrade my amp to something that can power over a drumset clearly, NOT barely. How many watts would I need , or is it a question of the amp itself?

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

There's no simple answer. A huge amount of watts through a little 112 cab will only get so loud. A relatively low wattage head through a very efficient (high SPL) large cab can get very loud.

Very roughly speaking.... at least 300 watts through a moderately sized and and relatively efficient cab (210, 2 x112, 212, 310, 410) should be enough.

500 watts of solid state power through a 212 or 410 would be enough for almost anything. This would typically require a 4ohm cab.

Tube amps are a little different, and 300 watts is MORE than enough through similar cabs as above, if you don't mind a little grit and growl in your tone.

Hard to put an exact number on it. The size and efficiency of the cab is really the deciding factor IME, along with how clean and 'accurate' you want your tone to be.

3. That depends on the loudness of the drummer.

What you have posted is WAY TOO VAGUE. We don't know what you're using or what you've tried.

Can you give us a bit more to go on?

4. What style(s) do you play?

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

By his TB name, I was assuming relatively loud rock/jam type music :cool:

6. PhilLesh

PhilLesh

Aug 25, 2007
    Yea KJung is right.

7. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    What about your old rig from the 70's?

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Phil, I'm surprised that you're posting here, considering your rigorous touring schedule and your long term knowledge of bass gear and sound reinforcement in general.

I am glad you see that you're doing well and considering upgrading your rig, though.

Ps...sorry to hear about Jerry.

Pps...you've provided some exciting musical experiences for me in my past, although I think Pride of Cucamonga was a mistake.

9. PhilLesh

PhilLesh

Aug 25, 2007
    Im not really Phil Lesh.....Just my account name because hes one of my favourite bassists.

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Oh?

11. hubwolf

hubwolf

Jun 28, 2007
    Kansas City
    I have to snicker at the thought of that Meyer rig he uses not cutting through the drummers (even if there are 2).

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    You know taking someone else's name and using it in a forum dedicated that player's instrument is IMO nothing but rude. You are not Phil Lesh and you never will be - get over it. Will you ever be as good as Phil? Who knows? Only the future will tell but if you try to copy Phil you never will be as good. Learn from the man not copy him. Take those lessons and mould them into something uniquely you and possibly one day the student MAY surpass the master.

Pretending to be some one you are not will only make most of us shake our heads, look for the "back" button, place the curser over said button and go cli

13. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    You need exactly 1.21 gigawatts.

Make sure you get a head with a quality flux capacitor in it to handle all of that power. The Chinese built stuff tends to skimp on the flux capacitors.

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Don't listen to 'em Phil!

I know it's really you!

Tell me, do you need a place to crash when you're passing through my town next month? I mean, it's not fancy or anything, but I'm sure that my roommates wouldn't mind if you stayed on the couch. As long as you promise not to eat their food.

Maybe you could also give me a lesson or two in exchange...I'm really interested in the style you were playing around '73, when the band was a bit more jazz influenced.