Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by king_truffle, Feb 15, 2002.

1. king_truffle

king_truffle

Apr 4, 2001
    Oshkosh WI
    Hey gang, I need some help. Last nite me and some friends of mine were jamming and my strap broke thus sending my bass into an uncontrollable dive to the stage. Nothing looked wrong, except for the big chip taken off the top of the body but when I played it again the signal was slightly distorted, then when I cranked up the tone control it was REALLY distorted. Any ideas? Could I have maybe knocked something loose in the pickup? Thats probably a stupid diagnosis but I don't know much about pickups and such. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks gang.

2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    It could be the wiring, pots, or output jack. Take it to a tech and they should be able to figure out what's wrong and fix it. If its just a loose connection, a busted pot or output jack then it won't be that expensive to fix.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I think that you should just check out the electronics yourself. It'll save you $$ and it could be as simple as soldering a wire back on... If you don't see anything then take it somewhere. That's what I always do. Just don't do anything to f*** up the warrentee or anything (if there still is one)

4. There is a resistor that is usually wired in with the tone pot (uh...I'm pretty sure it's a resistor) that might have been damaged in the fall. Since it's the tone pot causing the trouble, I'd say it would be easy (and pretty cheap) to just replace it and see if that works.

Good luck and Peace