Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by austin01bmx, Mar 11, 2002.

1. austin01bmx

Jan 8, 2002
    i just got a new cab that is ratted at 600 watts rms and i have a head i took out of one of my 50 watt combos. and now when you turn the volume upthere is a terrible crackling sound coming from the speakers, and i don't know what the problem is. any advice would be apriciated.:)
  2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    WHOA DUDE. your running a 50 watt head into a 600RMS cab? Thats a little crazy, your amp might be struggling like hell to power that thing. You must have it cranked up alot. It's most probly your amp, not your cab. If you told us what they were, we could probly help more.
  3. austin01bmx

Jan 8, 2002
    its a crate bx50 and an audio 600
  4. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The terrible crackling may very well be your amp clipping... Can be pretty destructive to speakers. It usually happens when you are cranking the volume up on a solid-state amp. When tubes are overdriven, they sometimes produce a pleasing distortion... When a solid state unit is overdriven, it clips... unpleasing.

There are those who will tell you that it cannot be done, but I have blown 400W speakers with 100W amps when clipping is occurring over a prolonged period...

FWIW, take it with a grain of salt...