Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Leopold B., Mar 16, 2002.

1. Leopold B.

Leopold B.

Mar 6, 2002
    Lawrence, KS
    I have an American P-bass deluxe that I play into an ampeg SVT2-pro into an SVT410HLF. My problem is that the E-string just about ALWAYS distorts, from open up to about the 7th fret. I have tried just about every switch, button, and knob on the bass, amp, and cab and I just can't the E to stop distorting... What could this be? The only thing I can think of is that the setup needs a 1x15 to clear up the lows?! Hope that's not the case... Anyone have any other ideas? I would love to hear them.

Thanks!

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    you could be clipping. Try backing off on some of the low end that your running into the cab and see if it still distorts.

3. Hmm...(sound of Bonkers scratching his head) - I've never been able to get my SVT 410HLF to distort on low notes. The thing just seems to have infinite bottom. You might try adding the 1 x 15, but I suspect that won't help. I assume you've tried all the obvious things like back off on the bass control on the bass preamp - it has plenty of boost! If that didn't help, have you tried a different bass with the same results? If so, you might have a blown driver - it happens, especially if you have been running too little power into the cab at too high a volume or adacious e.q. settings. I found this ou the hard way!

Hope this helps and you get your problem solved. Equipment problems suck!

4. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    try not playing so aggressively. my theory is that you're pulling the strings down onto the pole pieces. this will totally distort your sound. it also becomes harder to do as you move up the neck. if this is the case, you could lower your pickup, but that will change your sound and output. my best advice is to play lighter. it fixed the same problem for me. peace