Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by brazil843, Apr 15, 2002.

1. brazil843

brazil843

Apr 15, 2002
    ireland
    im pretty new to bass, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. i know how to play the roots of power chords etc, but if the guitarist was playing this, then what would the root on the bass be??

thanks

2. In a 4 string bass, tuned the same as the 4 lower strings of the guitar, THat Would be :

--------------------------------------------------
    --------6--6--6---8---8--------------------------

The guitar was playing the root note but in a higher position (an octave higher) plus a lower fith of that note.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I'm assuming he's tuning his guitar as E-A-D-G-B-E. If that's the case, the first 3 "power chords" he's playing are F with a C in the 5th position. The last two are G with an A in the 5th position.

Thus, you'd just play F-F-F-G-G:D

If you want to venture out from the root, you could always play the other notes in the chord.

The trick is to look at the lowest note the guitarist is playing. That's often the root, particularly with power chords. When you start seeing more advanced chords, you'll see chord inversions, where the root note is NOT the lowest note.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Uh...not to correct you, but I find I must.:eek:

The notes you just listed are not the root, but are, in fact, the 5th.

5. brazil843

brazil843

Apr 15, 2002
    ireland
    thanks a lot!

6. I tend to believe that Im always wrong when someone on talkbass tells me I am, but Wouldn't those be 4ths of the notes you listed?

7. yes. but the important thing is, it's wrong, so let's not confuse brazil843 any further. ;)

8. brazil843

brazil843

Apr 15, 2002
    ireland
    ahhh! so which answer is right?! :D

9. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.

10. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    In the modern day of power chords, I would say that luisnovelo has a good point. It realy depends how the rest of the song goes and what function those double stops serve. I know that if i was playing a double stop to a A# and a C I might very well play it like that(f and g being harmony). Try both ways and see which sounds better. It should be easy to tell.