Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blakec3686, Apr 22, 2002.

1. blakec3686

blakec3686

Dec 14, 2000
    ok, so i put a dunlop straplock system on my bass and the back screw stripped a hole in my bass !!
    So what i wana know is can i put wood filler in the hole and srew in the screw after it dries or should i just take it to a shop? if i do have to take it to a shop how much would it cost and does guitar center do good repairs? i really need to fix my bass the other one,s pickups are fried and i dont have the money to repace the pickups
    any help would be greatly appreciated
    Blake

2. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    If you want to do it yourself, fill the holes up with white elmers glue (not super glue, the elementary school kind that tastes good;) ) and fill it with toothpicks. Break the tooth picks off at the body, wipe off the glue that comes out, and let it dry. Then screw in.

3. blakec3686

blakec3686

Dec 14, 2000
    ive heard that that doesnt really last that long though

4. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Blake you've got a bunch of choices so follow along.

1. FORGET the wood filler idea. No go.

2. Use a larger size screw so you can get more bite. You may have to hollow out the piece of the straplock that you're screwing in. I use only Schaller strap locks so it's hard to say.

3. Drill a hole at a slightly different spot. This may not look the best because now you have 2 holes. It can also throw the balance off a bit. But, it does work.

4. You drill a large clean hole and insert a hardwood dowl rod. This replaces the wood that has the stripped hole. You then dril it and attach the locks as normal. This can get a bit tricky but works very well. Use yellow carpenters glue or epoxy to attach the dowl rod. If you have no wood working experience you might want to get a pro to do it.

5. Buy a stool. :)

Kurt

5. I have the same problem. Thank goodness for black duct tape. :D

6. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    The toothpick thing has lasted well over a year for me and I abuse the hell out of my strap/bass.

7. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Blake,

Do it right. The last thing you want is for your bass to become a projectile during a live show. You end up with a broken bass and you just plain look stupid.

Later.

8. The toothpicks even without the glue have lasted about 16 years in 2 basses and ten in another.

I just works.

9. I used matches in my old P-Bass only a few days after I received it. Lasted the four years I played it before it was stolen. I guess ymmv.

10. blakec3686

blakec3686

Dec 14, 2000
    thanks everyone for the imput . i really apreciate it
    Kurt
    thanks for the help im going to go with the dowel idea it sounds the most sound. again thanks

Blake

11. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Blake,

Smart decision. Being a professional or at least acting like one isn't that difficult in most cases it only takes common sence.

I couldn't imagine jumping around and wacking on my bass like I do on stage with toothpicks or match sticks holding my strap on!

Later,
    Kurt