Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

$$$$$$$$$help$$$$$$$$$

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fretbuzz, Apr 29, 2002.

1. ok, i need some help deciding how much to offer this guy i know who has a MIM black jazz bass and a peavy microbass amp (20w i think) both are about 3 or 4 years old. he bought them for his kid who took 1 lesson and practiced twice. so they are like new. also included is a nice quality soft case. SO, how much cash would you offer?

2. dunno
    bout 400-430 dollars???

*Si*

3. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    $400 Tops. You could always ask $350 and see
    what he says.

4. I thought a passive mexican jazz bass sold for around $350 new and the amp can be had for $129. i was thinking of offering around $200 i always thought gear of that quality would fetch about half of retail or less, am i wrong?

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    You could try $200 but if it were my stuff I certainly wouldn't sell it that cheap. The little Peavey is a nice amp for what it is, the MIM Jazz goes for around $350.

When figuring resale value some people think 1/2 of retail is a good rule of thumb. I think it depends on the item. What you're missing is that retail on the MIM Jazz is $550 not $350.

6. I see used MIM Jazzes on eBay going for about $225 to $275, if that's any indicator. Don't know about the amp. If he just wants to get it off his hands and get some cash back, I'd offer around $250 and negotiate from there if he's reluctant at that price.

7. he mentioned that "the whole package cost about $450" and its been sitting in a closet for several years. i just wanted to make sure $200 would be a good deal for me. i already have a mia jazz, so its really just something that my kids and nephew can play with (then i dont need to worry about mine getting dropped!!) so i really want to get this stuff cheap. btw brad, i thought the mexican active jazz basses were in the $550 range? this is passive without string through body. am i wrong about the retail?

8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The list price for a new Fender MIM Jazz Bass is $549.99. A fair sale price would be around $385.

9. NukeBass

NukeBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Cornelius, NC
    If you can get it for 200, go for it! Show up with cash and see if that helps. The package would probably be worth upwards of 300, given that a soft bag is involved. Maybe 275...

10. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    The seller may be insulted by offering $200, i'd recomend starting around $300 and go from there.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    $200 would be a good deal for you. I don't think I'd go above $300.